If you’re looking for a festive cookie, with a nice cakey texture, and delicious chocolate taste, this is the one for you!
It is very simple to make, and makes a ton of tasty cookies for you to enjoy (and share if you like). I use peppermint kisses on mine to add the festive touch, but you can add any flavour chocolate you like, or omit all together and use festive sprinkles instead. The best part of baking is the ability to customize each cookie for your own family!
Cook time: 11-13 minutes
Makes: 3 dozen (or more depending on your size)
- 2 c flour
- 1c cocoa powder
- 2tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 c granulated sugar
- 1/2 c vegetable oil (you can use canola oil as well)
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup icing sugar (powdered sugar)
- 1-2 packages of kisses (200g) or your favourite chocolate!
- In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt (I use a sifter to ensure all of my dry ingredients blend well)
- In a large bowl (or your stand mixer) whisk together sugar, oil, eggs and vanilla.
- Stir your flour mix into the wet ingredients until JUST COMBINED (you do not want to over mix this batter).
- Cover your mixture and chill for two hours.
- While your mix is chilling you can unwrap all those kisses and place them in a bowl in your freezer to get nice and hard (this prevents them from melting as soon as they touch the hot cookie later on).
- Preheat your oven to 350 degree Fahrenheit and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Prepare a small bowl with the icing sugar (this is only for rolling the cookie so it does not need to be full!).
- Scoop your dough into 1/2 tsp balls (it should be slightly larger than an acorn, about the size of a toonie). Roll the balls in the icing sugar and place on baking sheet.
- Bake 11-13 minutes (start to look cakey as you can see below) remove from oven immediately and place kiss in the center!
- Place in freezer right away until the kisses are no longer shiny (this allows them to keep their cute shape and colour). Thankfully for us it was freezing cold for our baking day so any of our items that required chilling went straight out to the patio table!
Remember how I promised you some great gift ideas with my baking posts?! Well see below for a couple of my favourite items for the baker in your life 🙂 (Tomorrow will be something for the creative person on your list, stay tuned!) This post contains affiliate links, which cost you nothing more, but allow you to see what I use and love in my own kitchen!
- Silicone Baking Mat (a great, reusable item for any one who loves baking!)
- Sifter (this is a MUST for anyone who bakes! It allows all of your dry ingredients to be perfectly blended so you don’t end up with pockets of baking soda…cough cough!)
- A fun Apron(Ohhh how I love aprons! I think I actually might have a problem! I have ones for all the seasons, which includes my adorable Mrs Claus apron that my sister wore for our baking day)
- Good quality, heavy Baking Sheets (these are needed to get the perfect golden cookie bottoms)
- A full vanilla bean, you can find at any bulk store or gourmet grocery store (sounds crazy right?! Real vanilla makes the difference between a good cookie and an OMG THIS IS FANTASTIC cookie!)
Happy baking and enjoy! <3