Alright ya’ll, if you haven’t made these guys before you are in for a real treat! They are deliciously light and crisp with the walnut crust, finished off with a sweet bang from the jam of your choice! YUMM!
We typically use a raspberry jam as well as an apricot one, but in the past I have also done with a nice strawberry jam. And do you know what would make these an even better cookie?? If you happen to be talented enough to make your own jams why not use that instead! That way you can give a small tin of the cookies with a jar of your jam and you have a FABULOUS gift for anyone on your list.
*credit for these cookies goes to Mrs. Stokes (whomever she is?) according to my moms ancient recipe card!*
Cooking Time: 15-17 minutes
Makes: Approx. 2 dozen cookies (this is a GREAT one to do a double batch)
Classic Thimble Cookies
- 1/2 c butter
- 1 egg yolk well beaten
- 1 c flour
- 1/4 c granulated sugar
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 egg white slightly beaten
- 1 c finely ground walnuts
- jam of your choice about 1/2 c
Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and grease baking sheets
Cream together butter and sugar, add in egg yolk and lemon juice and beat well.
Add in flour and stir until well blended.
Shape dough into small balls (1") and dip in egg white. Roll in nuts and place on baking sheet. Make fairly deep indentation in the center of the cookie.
Bake for 5 minutes, remove from oven and quickly indent centers a second time.
Bake additional 10-12 minutes
Remove from oven and fill hot cookies with a small dollop of jam (enough to just fill your indents).
And now for your gift list for the “service” people in your life!
- A box of nice chocolate, this is especially nice for the retail sector as they can share it with their colleagues (if they want!) and it won’t break your shopping budget either!
- Want to get a gift for your mail person? Lip chap is a great idea! They are always outside, and in the harsh elements there is nothing nicer than a nice slather of lip chap. If you want to add a little something extra why not throw in a hand cream that’s meant for the elements as well!
- Gift Cards are another great idea for any service person on your list! It doesn’t have to be a big amount, just enough to say thanks for all you do! This can be as simple as a $5 card for their favourite coffee shop, or a set of movie passes for your paper delivery kid!
- A Tin of your Cookies!!! Look at that! All those cookies and squares you’ve been making are just begging to be given to a special someone! Make up a small tin (or large if for a business with multiple people) and deliver with a nice card to say thanks! We do this every year for the people who have made our year a little better with their services, and it is always a welcome gift!
- This one is a bit of a splurge, but so worth it if you are able to afford it! Certificate for a manicure/pedicure is great for anyone in the service field! They either stand on their feet all day, or work with their hands, and it’s a real sweet way to let them treat themselves!
- And for an extra idea for the business with multiple people but you want to do something small, write out a personalized card for each staff member and attach a candy cane or small package of chocolates (you can always talk to the manager to get a list of first names if you don’t know them all and are afraid to leave someone out)!
This post contains affiliate links, which cost you nothing more when purchased through them.