Oooo do I have a TREAT in store for you guys today! If you enjoy indulging in a slice of chocolate cake every once in awhile, but just don’t have the time or patience to make it, don’t you worry…your newest and QUICKEST recipe is here : Microwave Mug Cakes!! These tasty desserts seem to be growing in popularity, and for really good reason if you ask me! The Mug Cake Recipes that I have for you guys are awesome for a few reasons; they take under 5 minutes from start to finish (yep that includes cooking time), they use ingredients that you already have on hand, and they are just simply DELICIOUS ! Guys, don’t just take my word for it…look at them! Updated from original February 2017 version. Last updated November 2018.
This is the Chocolate Brownie Mug Cake (with a gooey peanut butter middle!). Find the recipe for this and the Caramel Mug Cake below!
mug cake recipes
Microwave Mug Cake Recipes - Salted Caramel and Chocolate Brownie
The quickest and most delicious dessert you can make in under 5 minutes! These Mug Cake Recipes feature chocolate, peanut butter and salted caramel!
Salted Caramel Mug Cake
- 1/4 c Flour AP
- 1/4 tsp Baking Powder
- 2 tbsp Cocoa Powder
- 2 tbsp Sugar Granulated
- 1/8 tsp Salt Sea Salt/Kosher
- 2.5 tsp Caramel Sauce
- 1 tbsp Chocolate Chips Semi-Sweet or Milk
- 1/4 c Milk Heated in microwave for 12 sec
- 2 tbsp Butter Melted, cooled.
Chocolate Peanut Butter Mug Cake
- See above and substitute Peanut Butter for Caramel Sauce, Increase Sugar and eliminate Salt
- 2 tbsp Peanut Butter Crunchy or Smooth
- 2.5 tbsp Sugar Granulated
Heat milk and melt butter, set aside.
In small bowl sift together flour, baking powder, cocoa powder, and sugar.
For Caramel Mug Cake: add in 1 tsp caramel sauce, milk and butter. Mix well until there are no clumps. Mix in chocolate chips.
Pour half of mixture in mug, add additional 1 tsp caramel sauce and top with the rest of batter.
Microwave on high for 1 minute, drizzle with remainder of caramel and sprinkle with salt.
For Chocolate Brownie Mug Cake: Steps 1 and 2 above, then add in milk and butter mixing until no clumps. Add in chocolate chips. Pour batter into mug. Gently form peanut butter into log using two spoons and push into the center of batter. Microwave on high for 1 minute. Top with icing sugar if desired!
Your mug cake may look a little "wet" around the edges when it comes out of the microwave, and that is PERFECT! You do not want to overcook it which will cause it to be dry!
Did you even finish reading the recipe before you started to gather your ingredients (ha!) I don’t blame you, they are super easy to make and really will curb any sweet tooth you have! Another thing I love about any Mug Cake recipes is that you can really customize it to your own tastes. As long as you have your basic ingredients (flour, sugar, baking powder, milk, butter) you can really get creative and add in things that you love! Why not try a chocolate coconut mug cake? Or how about a peanut butter and jelly mug cake?! The possibilities are really endless!
mug cake faq
Here are just a few of the questions we get about our mug cakes. If you have any questions or suggestions for new flavors be sure to let us know with a comment below!
how do you make a perfect mug cake?
- Measure out your ingredients, you don’t want to “eyeball” your baking powder and have a flat microwave cake.
- Do not over-mix your batter. We like to mix our melted butter and warmed milk together before adding to the dry ingredients so there is less stirring to combine them.
- Pay attention to your microwave power level, you don’t want to have it set too low or too high as this will affect the outcome of your cake.
- Try to have it set to 70-80% power for the best results!
- Make sure you don’t go longer than the suggested time. The mug cake may look a little “wet” when it comes out of the microwave but it does keep cooking once you take it out.
are mug cakes good?
- YES! That’t the short answer! They are perfectly moist, deliciously sweet and can be customized to your tastes easier than a full sized cake.
- Whether your are in the mood for a Caramel Mug Cake, Chocolate, Strawberry, Carrot or even Banana Mug Cake, the possibilities really are endless.
- They are a quick and easy individually sized dessert that can be made any time.
- Perfect portions for late night cravings and midday pick-me-ups.
- Because they are so easy to make, mug cakes gain extra points in my books. Anything that can satisfy my sweet tooth that only takes 5 minutes is a win-win.
looking for more sweet treats?!
- Check out my Dessert page, you will find a nice mixture of easy and decadent treats to make for any craving! Like these Delicious Nutella Brownies
- Check out this delicious Monkey Bread from our friends at FizlDizl!
- More mug cakes? Here you go: Food Network Basic Vanilla Mug Cake
- Want a new muffin recipe?! Try our Coconut Carrot Muffins!