Making crepes doesn’t have to be the scary task that people think it is…I don’t know if it is the name (since it is so elegant sounding) or the fact that most of us have only ever had a crepe while out for breakfast or dessert, but let me tell you, they are SO easy to make and you will wonder how you went so long without whipping them up for your family! These crepes use only a few ingredients (which I know you already have on hand!) and they make enough to feed the entire family. And guess what?! You DON’T need a fancy crepe pan to make them either (woohoo!) a regular non-stick frying pan does the trick perfectly!
- 1.5 c Milk (we use 1%, you can use what you prefer)
- 4 Eggs
- 1/4 c Butter (melted and cooled)
- 1 c Flour (AP)
- 1 tbsp Sugar
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- In a blender combine the milk, flour, sugar, salt, eggs and half of the butter and blend until smooth. If you don't have a blender you can use a stand mixer with whisk attachment. Let batter rest at room temperature for at least 15 minutes before using.
- You can make the batter a day in advance and just transfer to a sealed container, keep it in the fridge until you are ready to make the crepes.
- Heat a small nonstick pan over medium heat.
- Using a silicone pastry brush lightly brush pan with some of the remaining melted butter.
- Add batter using a ladle (about half full) and swirl the skillet so the batter completely covers the bottom.
- Cook 2 to 3 minutes and then loosen the edge of the crepe with a rubber spatula, then with your fingertips, flip crepe and continue to cook for 1 minute.
- Slide the crepe out of the skillet and repeat with the remaining batter, coating the skillet with butter as you need (do not over butter or your crepes will fry and be oily)
We like both savory and sweet crepes, and this recipe can easily be adapted based on which you are making so don’t worry! As with most of my recipes, get creative and have fun with your toppings!! Take a look at some of our favorite toppings for whatever cravings you may have.
savory crepe ideas
- Broccoli, Cheddar Cheese and Caramelized Onions
- Spinach, Ricotta and Crumbled Bacon
- Eggs and Spinach
- Eggs Benedict (complete with ham and hollindase sauce)
- Smoked Salmon and Cream Cheese
sweet crepe ideas
- Fresh Fruit with Whipped Cream and Nutella drizzle
- Ice Cream (whatever flavor you prefer) with Nuts and assorted Chocolate pieces (candy bars!)
- Peanut Butter and Jam
- Vanilla Ice Cream with Peanut Butter drizzle and Bananas
- Drizzled with Maple Syrup and sprinkle with Cinnamon
We actually make double and freeze what we don’t use for easy, on-the-go breakfasts and dinners when we have no time (or just forgot to defrost the meat for the chili…again!). Be sure to do the same, and let me know your favorite flavor combination for your crepes! What are you waiting for?