Ever wondered how those fancy bakeries get the glistening sweet fruit on top of their cakes?! Wonder no more friends, this quick and easy guide will show you how to make candied oranges (and any other fruit) at home for you to enjoy whenever you want.
- 1 Orange (or other citrus fruit)
- 1 c Granulated Sugar
- 3 c Water
- Wash orange thoroughly, be sure to give a gentle scrub of the skin as you will be eating the whole thing.
- Thinly slice orange, you can use a mandoline to get consistent slices. Put aside for after.
- In a large pan (think a lot of surface area as you don't want the oranges touching) bring water and sugar to a boil.
- Gently add in your orange slices and cook until they become translucent, approx. 20-30 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon remove the orange slices and transfer to a cooling rack with a baking sheet underneath to catch the drips.
- Enjoy on your favorite cakes or on its own!
We used these candied oranges on an Orange Cream Crepe Cake we made, and I can tell you firsthand just how good they were! The skin of the fruit doesn’t have any bitterness left to it once it has been candied, and the rest of the orange practically melts in your mouth. So what are you waiting for?! Let’s get candying!