According to the calendar Spring is supposed to be here…however as I type this we are experiencing a crazy ice storm and it’s not leaving me feeling very motivated to cook or do any Spring Cleaning (ha!). Thankfully this Broccoli Lemon Farfalle dish comes together in 20 minutes and is PERFECT for the nicer days ahead! I love adding lemon to this dish, there is something so yummy about the light citrus flavor that comes through in every bite and it compliments the sausage and broccoli amazingly. This is going to be a new family favorite, and with how incredibly quick and easy it is there is no reason why it shouldn’t be added to your weekly meal plan.
If you are like me, you probably often find yourself wondering what to serve for dinner most days of the week, my friends I am NOT a planner! That’s okay though, as I have said before most of my best meals come to be from the top of my head and little to no preparation (sooo procrastination can be a good thing right!?). The nice thing with this dish is that you probably have everything you need to make it (always stock up on meat for the freezer friends, that is the only planning I do) and if you don’t have the sausage why not try chicken? No broccoli, try peas! I am all about a versatile dish that uses ingredients we already have on hand.
- 500g Mild Italian Sausage (about 4 medium links)
- 1 package Farfalle Pasta (500g)
- 1 Head of Broccoli (aprox 3 cups) chopped
- 3 cloves Garlic, minced
- 1/2 Red Onion, diced
- 1 Lemon, zested and juiced
- 2 tbsp Butter (or margarine)
- 1.5 cups Vegetable Broth (we use a boullion cube and add water)
- Green Onion for garnish
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Prepare pasta according to package, drain and set aside. While pasta is cooking slice your sausage into 1/2" pieces and cook over medium high until browned. Remove from pan until later.
- In the same pan heat butter over medium heat, add onions and cook until translucent. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute until fragrant.
- Add broccoli to the onion mixture and sautee for 2-3 minutes. Add broth and lemon juice and cover for 5 minutes.
- Add broccoli and onion mixture along with sausage to your pot of pasta, toss to coat. Add lemon zest and season with salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle with green onions and enjoy!
Looking for other quick and easy meals for your family? Check out some of our favorites below to get inspired and get cooking.