Summer is all about fresh ingredients and outdoor meals for us, that’s why this Quinoa Salad is perfect for the hot days that are still ahead! It uses just a few ingredients to transform plain quinoa into a delicious side dish (or main meal if you want to add protein!) and although we make this more in the summertime, you can definitely enjoy it on cooler days as well.
You can customize the Quinoa Salad to your tastes too, so if you prefer zucchini over cucumber or cherry tomatoes over peppers, feel free to throw em in. The dressing is just as simple as the salad itself, and can be used on a variety of green salads as well! So grab your ingredients and pack your picnic bag, it’s time to make this yummy salad.
- 1 c Dry Quinoa (Rinsed under cold water)
- 1 c Water
- 1 c Vegetable Broth
- 1/2 lg Cucumber, chopped
- 1 lg Red Pepper, chopped
- 1/2 Red Onion, diced
- 3 tbsp Fresh Basil (or parsley if you prefer) chopped
- 1/4 c Extra Virgin Olive Oil (the good stuff guys, you don't want it to be bitter!)
- 1/4 c Lemon Juice (fresh is best but concentrated is fine!)
- 1 tbsp Dijon Mustard
- 3/4 tbsp Sugar
- 1 Garlic clove, minced
- pinch of Salt
- Place medium pot over medium heat for about 2 mins to warm, add in quinoa and give a quick "toast" by swirling in the pot for 1 minute. Add in your water and broth with a pinch of salt and allow to come to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer until liquid is absorbed (about 10-12 minutes). Remove from heat and place in your serving bowl. Place in fridge to cool.
- Once quinoa has cooled add in remainder of the salad ingredients and toss.
- Combine all ingredients in a small bowl, whisk until well combined.
- Pour 1/2 of the dressing over the salad and add the remainder right before serving.
Prepare Quinoa ahead of time (even the day before) so it can cool.