Stuffed Peppers are a delicious and easy way to make a healthy weeknight meal that everyone will love! They use a few key ingredients to create a savory dish, and can be customized with whatever you have on hand.
The recipe I am sharing today is for our Italian Stuffed Peppers which combines mild Italian sausage and other classic flavors like Oregano, Basil and Parmesan Cheese to create a mouth-watering pepper you will want to eat time and time again! We use rice in these stuffed peppers but we have also done them with quinoa and couscous to change it up a bit. Either way, it is the perfect comfort food to whip up with the cooler days ahead.
- 5 medium Bell Peppers (assorted colors)
- 1/2 large Onion, diced
- 3 links Italian Sausage, casing removed (can use mild or hot)
- 1 c White or Basmati Rice
- 1c Strained Tomatoes
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp each dried Parsley and Basil (if you have fresh that is good too!)
- 1/4 c shredded Parmesan Cheese (+more for topping)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Olive Oil
- Wash peppers and, using a sharp knife, cut off the tops (about 1/2")
- Remove the seeds and membrane of the pepper using a small paring knife, being careful not to puncture the pepper itself (if you do that is OK your rice will prevent too much stuffing from seeping out)
- Dice up your pepper tops (not including the stems)!
- Preheat oven to 350 F
- Cook rice according to package and set aside
- Heat 2 tbsp olive oil a medium pan and add in diced peppers and onions and saute for 2 mins
- Add in Sausage and spices and cook until browned (about 5 mins)
- Add your strained tomatoes and simmer for 3 mins, stir in parmesan, salt and pepper and remove from heat
- Place empty peppers in a shallow dish, try to keep them close together so they don't fall over in the oven
- Start by stuffing them with rice until they are about 3/4 full
- Fill the remaining portion of your pepper with your sausage mixture
- Top with grated parmesan
- Cover with foil and cook in oven for 25 mins
- Remove foil and cook for another 5 mins
If you like your peppers a little softer you can steam them for 3 minutes in the microwave first before assembling. Simply place them top down on a plate and cover loosely with plastic wrap, cook for 3 mins and then go on to stuffing!!
How easy is that?! I always seem to have some of the stuffing left over too, it is great for adding to pasta sauce later in the week (if you can make it last that long). Though often I find myself eating spoonfuls while I wait for my peppers to come out of the oven! I mean just look at how tasty it is…
Liked This? You’ll LOVe these easy dinner ideas too!