An easy to make Caramel Sauce with Cream that tastes better than anything you can buy at the store!
This is a simple how-to for those of you who are wanting to make your own Homemade Caramel sauce. It has so many delicious uses, like our Caramel Apple Coffee Cake , Salted Caramel Mug Cake and many more decadent treats. It is also a great option to make ahead and gift to neighbors, teachers, service people and friends for the holidays.
There are a couple of things you need to be mindful of when making this Caramel Sauce, be sure to read them ahead of time to save yourself from having to make another batch!
tips and tricks for the best caramel sauce recipe
- Take 5 minutes to prepare and measure all of your ingredients ahead of time, you do not want to have to grab butter from the fridge when your sauce is bubbling away.
- Never walk away from the stove while it is cooking…EVER! It goes from clear to amber color quickly and you need to add in the cream at the right moment.
- Pour cream in SLOWLY to prevent it from bubbling over the sides of your pot, the cool cream and hot sugar mixture are not friends.
- Mix, mix, mix but only with a silicone spatula or wooden spoon as metal will take away heat and increase the chances of crystallization.
- Keep a small cup of warm water with a pastry brush to the side in case you notice crystallization of the caramel sauce, gently wipe the sides of the pot with the water.
Homemade Caramel Sauce with Cream
- 1 cup Granulated Sugar
- 1/3 cup warm Water room temperature not hot
- 3/4 cup Heavy Cream (35%)
- 2 tbsp Butter (1/8 cup)
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- Add sugar and water to a large saucepan with a heavy bottom (see notes above recipe for why)
- Heat over medium heat and cook until the sugar mixture begins to dissolve (aprox 5 mins). It will bubble and begin to turn clear.
- Increase the heat to medium-high and cook until the sugar mixture turns amber in color.
- Working Quickly turn the heat off and slowly add in your cream, mixing constantly. Add in the butter and vanilla and stir until combined.
- Allow sauce to cool before transferring to jar/container where it must be stored in the refrigerator for up to 4 weeks.
That’s it, how easy was that!? Be sure to whip up a double batch of this Caramel Sauce with Cream to gift this Holiday season, who wouldn’t want a jar of their own for pouring over ice cream or adding to hot chocolate? Yum!