Easy, quick and delicious. This Zucchini Loaf is loaded with cheddar cheese and chopped chives to make a savory quick bread you will want to make over and over again!
I am so excited that zucchini season is here, finally! While we can get them year round thanks to our local grocery stores, it’s always better when they are local and fresh. This zucchini loaf is super moist thanks to our method of mixing and baking, comes out crunchy on top, and is loaded with stringy cheddar cheese…why wouldn’t you want to make this?!
zucchini and cheddar cheese- yes please!
Zucchini is one of those vegetables that I find most people love, even if you hate vegetables since it is fairly mild in taste and can easily be incorporated into most dishes without altering the overall outcome. That being said, it can also be the STAR of a recipe just like it is in this version of our Zucchini Loaf and our super tasty Zucchini Fritters.
Now, most zucchini bread recipes call for buttermilk but we have a sneaky way around that which ensures you can make this whenever the craving hits (which will be often once you’ve had a bite). I just can’t get enough of zucchini this year, and this bread has been years in the making. We have been making, changing, eating and making this over and over again to make sure it was perfect before we could share with you. So let’s get to it shall we?
faq to help with making zucchini loaf
how do you remove water from shredded zucchini?
This is such an important step when baking and cooking with zucchini, there is nothing worse than the soggy mess you are left with if you do not remove all that excess water. The easiest way? Once you have shredded the zucchini place it on a clean tea towel and allow it to sop up all that extra moisture. Squeeze it around the zucchini a couple of times to ensure all the water is gone before adding to your recipe.
how can you tell a good zucchini?
There are a couple of things you want to look for when picking out your zucchini at the market to make sure it is the freshest one. First of all you want it to be firm, no soft or soggy spots should appear on the surface. Give it a gentle squeeze and if it is soft to the touch then put it back and choose another. You also want your zucchini to be a nice dark green, and have a slight shine to its surface. Now, it is important to remember that many vendors will add a waxy coating to the vegetable so be sure to follow the other signs for a good zucchini as well! A zucchini with a couple of small dents in it is still fine and good to use as long as it meets the criteria above.
should zucchini be refrigerated?
A zucchini can be left on the counter or put in the fridge for storage, it all depends on how soon you will be using it. Generally speaking, if I plan to use the zucchini within a day or two I leave it on my counter, away from direct sunlight. If I know I won’t be using it for a few days I put it in the crisper.
Be sure to PIN THIS RECIPE so you have it for later!
YOU MAY NEED
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services
LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide
a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
I always use my OXO grater when I have to shred veggies (carrots, zucchinis, potatoes etc), it’s not just for cheese people!
zucchini loaf recipe
Cheesy Zucchini Loaf
- 1.5 cups Shredded Zucchini, patted dry Approx 1 small zucchini
- 2 cups Flour AP
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1 cup Milk
- 1 tbsp White Vinegar Mix with milk and let sit while you prep ingredients
- 1 Egg
- 1/4 cup Melted Butter
- 1.5 cups Grated Cheddar Cheese
- 3 tbsp Chopped Chives
- Preheat oven to 350 F and grease 9x5" pan. Begin by adding vinegar to milk and allowing it to sit while you get the batter ready (this creates the "buttermilk" effect).
- In a medium bowl combine flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt with a whisk to ensure ingredients are evenly distributed.
- In stand mixer mix melted butter with egg and add in milk mixture, mix well.
- Add dry ingredients to wet mixture and stir until JUST combined, do not overmix or your zucchini loaf will be flat and dense.
- Add in zucchini, chives and cheese and use wooden spoon to gently fold into the batter.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 50-60 minutes., when toothpick inserted comes out clean it is done. Allow to cool before removing from pan.