A light and crisp dessert with a tangy fruit reduction…need I say more?!
Makes: 8 servings (how we did it, if you do individual meringues just topped with fruit you can easily double this)
Time: 1hr 20 mins
- 4 egg whites (it is very important to not have any of the yolk or your meringue will not turn out!)
- 1 1/4 c granulated sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- Fruit Reduction:
- 1c frozen strawberries
- 1/2c frozen blueberries
- you can use fresh for either of the berries above if you prefer, you will just have to adjust your cooking time…also feel free to use whatever fruit your family likes! (That’s the great thing about this dessert, it is so versatile)
- 2tbsp granulated sugar
- 1/4c water
- 1tbsp balsamic vinegar
- Whipped cream (we used a store bought one, but you can easily make your own! See my Coconut Cream Pie for my version!)
- Preheat oven to 275 degrees Fahrenheit and line a baking sheet with parchment paper
- In a large bowl (or stand mixer), beat your eggs whites until stiff, gradually add in your sugar (take your time here, do not add the entire bowl at once!) and beat well after each addition. Beat until it becomes thick and has a glossy appearance, then you want to fold in your vanilla, lemon juice and cornstarch. DO NOT MIX, gently fold it in!
- Spoon the meringue mixture onto your parchment paper (we did two different size circles…4″ and 2″…make sure you use your spoon to spread the mixture into a circle with a slight depression in the center (it will rise).
- Bake for 45mins-1hr depending on your oven. The Meringue will be stiff and slightly golden. Remove and cool completely on a wire rack.
- For the fruit reduction: Place fruit and water in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add in your sugar and balsamic vinegar and allow to cook at a low simmer for about 20 minutes until it begins to turn into a syrup and the fruit is soft. Take off the heat and allow to cool before assembling (it will thicken up as it sits so don’t worry if it is a little runny!)
- When you are ready to assemble take your vessel (ours was a martini glass) and place some crumbled meringue in the bottom, top with fruit and a little whipped cream. Repeat with a full meringue disc on top and some of the full berries!
- ENJOY <3