This is sure to be a new family favourite in your household, especially with my fun take on leftovers for the next day!
It is a fairly simple dish to make, with simple ingredients! The best part is that you can make it ahead of time by setting your crockpot to low while you’re at work and dinner will be ready to go when you get home! There are two components to the dish; the “red” saucy part of the chili, and a nice cheesy surprise to top it with.
- 4tbsp butter (or margarine)
- 2tbsp flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 cups milk (warmed)
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 chicken boulion cube
- 1 can of kernel corn
- 1 can of black beans, rinsed
- 4 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 L (1 large jar) strained tomatoes
- 1c water
- 3 chicken breasts, seasoned with salt and pepper, cooked and shredded (or rotisserie chicken)
- 3tbsp chilli powder
- salt, pepper and parsley to season
EXTRA: Tortilla chips (any variety your family likes!)
- Heat 2tbsp olive oil in large sauce pot over medium-high heat. Add in onions and cook until translucent. Add garlic and boulion cube, allow to cook for 2 mins, stirring frequently. Add in water and tomato paste (will turn into a thick sauce).
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Add strained tomatoes, salt, pepper and parsley and allow to cook for 20 minutes.
- While sauce is cooking begin to prepare your cheese sauce.
- Heat butter over medium heat, once melted add in flour and stir constantly until a thick paste forms. Allow to cook for 2-3 mins.
- Slowly add in your milk, being sure to stir frequently. Allow to come to a low boil before adding in the cheese.
- Once all ingredients are together, add salt and cayenne pepper and allow to cook for 3 minutes until thickened. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Back to your red sauce! Add in the shredded chicken, corn and beans and cook until heated through.
Now it’s time to assemble. Scoop some of the chili into a bowl, spoon cheese sauce over the chili and add some crumbled tortilla chips on top! Dig in and enjoy!
But what about those leftovers?!
For a quick and easy dinner (or snack) the next day, reheat the chili and cheese sauce and add to a heaping pile of tortilla chips! Serve with a healthy salad and enjoy a fun meal!