Who’s ready for a super quick, yet full of flavour soup?! You are going to love this one, even if you don’t love kale I assure you it will be made time and time again in your house. The kale melts in your mouth with the consistency of spinach, and the sausage, carrots and chickpeas give it a giant blast of flavour and add to the texture while you gulp down each spoonful!
You don’t need all day to make this one either, it only takes about 30 minutes (although the longer you leave anything to simmer the more the flavours will come together). This soup is so delicious and even better as leftovers for two days. I always try to make a giant pot whenever I make any kind of soup as I know my hubby and I will enjoy it for more than one day, and it is so quick to reheat it as a side or another main dish appearance.
Makes: 8+ servings
Time: 20 minutes prep, 30 minutes cook-time
- 1 bunch of kale, washed, de-stemed and chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 can of chickpeas
- 3-4 Italian sausage links (can be hot or mild depending on your preference), sliced into quarter size pieces
- 4 cups of Chicken or Vegetable stock
- 4 cups of water
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese
- salt/pepper to taste
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- Heat olive oil in a large stockpot over medium heat. Add in your sausage and cook for 5 minutes until browned on all sides. Remove sausage and add in your white wine to lift all of the goodness on the bottom.
- Add in your carrots and onions, cooking until just softened (about 5 minutes) add garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add sausage back to the pan and give a quick mix to blend the flavours, add in your water and chicken stock.
- Bring to a boil and add all remaining ingredients (chickpeas, cheese, salt/pepper).
- Reduce heat to medium-low (not boiling) and allow to cook for 20-30 minutes.
- Serve with garlic toast or a nice brie grilled cheese! Top with more Parmesan cheese if desired!