Chocolate Haystack Cookies are one of the easiest no-bake cookies you can make! Loaded with chocolate, peanut butter and chow mein noodles, they are perfect for lunchboxes and after school treats!
I am so excited to share these cookies with you guys today! They are another part of my contribution to #Choctoberfest and I just know you will love them as much as I do.
If you love the combination of chocolate and peanut butter and don’t like to turn the oven on every time you want a sweet treat than this cookie recipe is for you. The fact that they are no-bake is a bonus in my opinion, it really can’t get any easier than this. Melt in your mouth chocolate, creamy peanut butter and fresh peanuts all mixed with chow mein noodles to make a one of a kind, delicious cookie you will love.
So, what are haystack cookies?
Simply put a Haystack Cookie is a no-bake cookie using chocolate and chow mein noodles along with other ingredients to create a one of a kind treat that both kids and adults will love! Their “haystack” shape once set is what gives them their unique name, and you can make them as big or small as you would like. We prefer to make them two bite cookies, but have made them as big as our hands in the past!
My Grandmother introduced me to these many years ago when I was just a little girl with a big chocolate craving after a long day of grade school (pfft if only we knew how much longer the days would get as we got older right?!). We created timeless memories in her kitchen together baking and whipping up goodies, and I was often allowed to lick the spoon when it was all said and done so I think it was a pretty sweet deal.
frequently asked questions for haystack cookies
what ingredients are in haystack cookies?
There are 3 main ingredients in Chocolate Haystack Cookies. As you can see above, they consist of chocolate and chow mein noodles and we added in some crunchy peanut butter to ours! This makes them Chocolate Haystack Cookies with Peanut Butter… everything is truly better with peanut butter!
how do you make chocolate haystack cookies?
Are you ready for how easy this is!? Melt your chocolate, either using the microwave or a double broiler method. If using the double broiler method you will need a pot and a glass bowl. You want to ensure the bowl does not touch the bottom of the pot when placed over top, it should hover just above your water line. Fill pot about 2″ with water and simmer over medium heat, you do not want a rapid boil! As the bowl heats up it will gently melt your chocolate without burning or seizing. It is my favorite way to melt any kind of chocolate.
Once your chocolate is smooth you simply add in your peanut butter and stir to combine and then add in your noodles and whatever other ingredients you choose to incorporate into your Chocolate Haystack Cookies! EASY RIGHT?!
YOU MAY NEED
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services
LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide
a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Chocolate Haystack Cookies with Peanut Butter
- 2 cups Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
- 1/2 cup Peanut Butter we used Crunchy
- 3 cups Chow Mein Noodles
- 1 cup Peanuts
- Begin by lining 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper, or silicone baking mats and set aside.
- Melt chocolate chips using the double broiler over medium heat. You can use the microwave as well but be sure to do it in 15 second increments so you don't burn the chocolate.
- Once chocolate is melted turn the heat off and stir in the peanut butter. Mix until well combined and creamy.
- Remove from the heat and stir in your peanuts and chow mein noodles. I like to give the noodles a little "force" to break some of them into smaller pieces.*you can add in any other mix-ins you like but remember to increase chocolate amount to ensure proper coverage*
- Use a spoon to scoop and drop your chocolate noodle mixture onto your prepared baking sheets. You can make them as big or as small as you like.
- Allow to set in the fridge for at least 20 minutes before devouring!
Variations to the traditional haystack cookie
Now the thing I love with this cookie is how creative you can get with it. You could stop with 3 ingredients and you would have a great cookie…OR you could add in some salted peanuts and sprinkles like we did and take your cookie over the top!
You could even add in a nice chopped dried fruit mix with sunflower seeds or oats to add another flavor dimension. We also have a delicious White Chocolate Haystack Cookie that you might want to check out, especially if your kiddos LOVE all things Elf on the Shelf! Play around with them and make them your own by starting with our base recipe! Just remember, if you are adding in more “toppings” you will need to increase your chocolate amount as well so there is enough to coat the goodness.
more treats like chocolate haystack cookies
- 3 Ingredient Chocolate Caramels
- 35 No-Bake Cookie Recipes – Taste of Home
- Chocolate Turtle Fudge
- Chocolate Covered Pretzels – The Food Network
Be sure to check out the other Popular Chocolate Recipes from #CHOCTOBERFEST below!