This post may contain affiliate links, which cost nothing and allow you to see the products I use in my own kitchen! See my Disclosure Policy for full details.
After seeing the response ya’ll had to my Homemade Pizza Dough recipe I thought that I would show you another great idea for topping it off! There are so many great ways to customize a pizza to your tastes and likes, and for my family, this is one of our favorites! I mean really who DOESN’T love pancetta incorporated into their dinner?? And to top it all off, we added in some spinach and yummy mozzarella cheese too…I know, I know, you are drooling and ready to get going right?
Before I get into the recipe though, there are few things that you need to know when making a pizza at home. First of all, be creative, every single time! Make it your own and have fun! It is really a great meal to get the kiddos involved in too, they will love rolling out the dough and topping it with their own veggies, meat and cheeses. Set out bowls with predetermined toppings and have them lined up on the table so they can dig in and create. Let them have fun and encourage them to build a healthy meal at the same time!
You are also going to need some key tools and ingredients in your kitchen at all times if you plan on making pizza!
My 3 essentials are:
- A good Pizza Stone, you must have this for making pizzas…it really does make the difference between a good pizza and a GREAT pizza! The key to your stone is to always leave it in your oven as this will help to season it(we keep ours foiled when not in use so it doesn’t get stained from other dishes we cook during the week). When you are ready to make your pizza you just uncover it and turn the oven on to preheat with it inside, this way it is hot and ready to cook as soon as your dough hits it!
- A Pizza Peel, yep this is another mandatory for making your pizza. And I know you are thinking, “But aren’t those things like 4 feet long?! Where will I fit it?!” well let me tell you that no they are not all that big! We have the perfect size wooden pizza peel that fits into the same cupboard as our cutting boards!
- Corn Meal . I cannot stress to you enough how MANDATORY this ingredient is for making your pizza! If you love the crunchy texture that your delivery pizzas have, this is your secret ingredient…and trust me it makes a major difference! When stretching out your dough you combine corn meal with a little bit of flour and work right on top. You also sprinkle a light amount on your pizza stone right before plopping your pizza on! I promise you, this is the one step you do not want to skip!
Okay, one more thing before the recipe! For this pizza I used a pesto base, I found it really went with the flavour combination I was working with. Now, if your family prefers red sauce, by all means use that instead! For my pesto I used Epicures Lemon Basil Aioli seasoning mix (sells for about $7 and lasts forever!) we actually use it on fish, chicken and veggies when getting them ready for the grill too! All I did was take 2 tbsp of the mix and whisk it with 1/4c olive oil and 1tsp lemon juice, I then used a silicone brush to spread it on the base of my dough before adding my toppings.
- Homemade Pizza Dough (see recipe on oliveblogger.com
- 1c Baby Spinach
- 5-6 Slices of Pancetta (cooked and crumbled)
- 1 1/2c Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- Pesto (see how I made mine on the site!)
- Prepare pizza dough as instructed (or use store bought if preferred)
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit
- Stretch out dough on surface with cornmeal and flour
- Place dough on pizza peel and assemble with your toppings
- Start with your pesto, gently spreading from the center of your dough out
- Evenly lay out your spinach and crumbled pancetta
- Top with mozzarella and slide onto cornmeal dusted pizza stone
- Cook for about 10 minutes until crust is golden and spinach is wilted
- Serve with a side salad and enjoy
Here is that yummy pizza ready to go in the oven, assembled on the pizza peel.
Doesn’t this look incredible!? You can see the crunchy thin crust, combined with the melting cheese and wilted spinach…get eating!
And that friends is your newest recipe to add to your pizza collection! Be sure to check out my Kale Pizza for more inspiration!