There is nothing better than a classic Oatmeal Peanut Butter Cookie, especially when it is easy to make. Our cookie is perfectly chewy in the center with nice crisp edges, which is perfect for dunking in a cuppa tea or milk.
If you are like me you are ALWAYS looking for a new cookie recipe to add to your collection…I mean can you ever really have enough? Now, this is an update on your classic Peanut Butter Cookie Recipe, mixed with the flavors of a tasty Oatmeal Cookie, it is one to please people on both sides of the cookie “fence”!
This was another one of those “I don’t have what I need!!!” recipes, but like my Peach Crisp, they turned out even better than my original!! And do you know what I was missing?? Brown sugar!! That is a STAPLE when making a traditional peanut butter cookie…but not with my new discovery!
For this recipe you will need: peanut butter, white sugar, egg, margarine, vanilla, oats, flour and baking powder.
Recipe and photos updated January 11, 2020
i love cookies
I mean guys, just look at those cookies!!! I have to tell you, they have a nice chewy center, and the peanut butter flavor just POPS (secret tip: use Crunchy Peanut Butter to add a whole other level of texture and flavor to your cookies!).
They are also perfect for dipping in a nice cup of tea! These Oatmeal Peanut Butter Cookies are a staple for us, especially on a grey day, in fact I just remade them today for my hubby and I to enjoy so I could update my photos for you guys to drool over. I can remember when we first started dating I used to make cookies all the time for him to test out, my own little guinea pig, before sharing with family and friends…maybe that’s why he stuck around?!
Now, if you have followed me for long you know that I LOVE cookies and am constantly sharing a new recipe with you! Take for instance my Classic Oatmeal Cookie or even my Chocolate Crinkle Cookies , both are great examples of a versatile cookie you can adjust to your preferences, and this one is no different guys! If you prefer to use creamy peanut butter…go for it! Wanna add in some chopped nuts or chocolate chunks..yep you can do that too! Have fun and make em your own! Now, let’s get baking!
Tips for the perfect oatmeal peanut butter cookie
- Use chunky peanut butter – it adds to the texture and gives you a fuller cookie
- Do not over-mix your batter! Once you have added in the oats you want to do a quick mix and leave it alone
- You don’t want to cook them until they are brown on top (unless you prefer a very crunchy cookie) you only want the edges to be golden to keep the center chewy
- Always use quick cooking oats in your cookies, this way you won’t be biting into hard pieces of oats
- Let them cool for at lest 10 minutes before eating one – I know, I know, it’s so hard to just let them be but trust me it’s worth it!
Be sure to PIN THIS COOKIE RECIPE so you have it for later!
you may also like
- No Bake Chocolate Haystack Cookies
- Fudgy Hot Chocolate Cookies
- Caramel Apple Coffee Cake
- Chocolate Orange Shortbread Cookies
If you made this recipe please be sure to rate it and leave us a comment below and let us know what you thought!!
BEST Oatmeal Peanut Butter Cookie
- 1 1/4 cup Chunky Peanut Butter
- 1 cup White Sugar
- 1 lg Egg
- 1/4 cup Margarine or butter
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 3/4 cup Quick Cooking Oats you may need more to thicken your batter depending on the size of your egg and if you choose to use creamy peanut butter instead
- 1/4 cup Flour
- 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
- In mixer, beat together your peanut butter with egg, vanilla and butter until creamy.
- Add in sugar and mix well until the sugar is dissolved (about 3-5 minutes on medium speed). In the meantime sift together flour and baking powder.
- Add in your flour mixture as well as the oats and (on low speed) mix until just combined.
- Using a teaspoon (or cookie scoop) drop by spoonful onto your baking sheet.
- Bake on middle rack for 10-11 minutes (until they are JUST browning around the edge, this keeps them chewy!)
- Remove from oven, allow to cool and enjoy!
Be sure to subscribe to our Email List so you can always get delicious recipes and ideas to your inbox for FREE!
Step-by-step photos for oatmeal peanut butter cookies
Once your peanut butter, egg and vanilla have mixed you will be left with a batter that is shiny and thick. You want to make sure that the egg is mixed throughout the peanut butter before moving on to the next step.
Once you add in the sugar and mix to fully dissolve you will have a batter that is more fluffy and pale in color, it almost resembles a whipped peanut butter at this point. Be sure to scrape down the sides of your bowl before adding in the flour mixture with oats in your next step.
Your final mix in of flour and oats will leave you with a wonderfully thick cookie dough that is easily held together with a gentle press. The thick consistency is key to having a cookie that rises and stays chewy in the center.
Using a teaspoon you want to gently shape the dough into small rounds and place about 1.5″ apart on your cookie tray to ensure they don’t touch when baking.