To me, a good cookie is one you want to have over and over again and these Pecan Meltaways will have you doing just that! They are the perfect size cookies, full of delicious pecan pieces and chocolate chips, then rolled in confectioners sugar to add that extra bit of sweetness. When you pop one in your mouth you will notice how delicious they are as it melts away on your tongue.
These Pecan Cookies are great at anytime of year but we especially love them for the Holidays! They are easy to make, delicious to eat and great for gift giving. These cookies are similar to a Mexican Wedding Cookie, but use deliciously sweet Pecans, what’s not to love?
pecan meltaways – why you need to make them
If you have followed along with us for awhile you will know that we are huge cookie fans….anything sweet really, but ESPECIALLY a good cookie recipe! I first tried these cookies at one of the bridal showers I was attending for my husbands family. they are a staple cookie at any kind of Italian event, and I was hooked from the first bite.
I remember heading towards the cookie tables any time I was attending an event just to look for these Pecan Cookie Balls so I thought it would be a good idea if I actually had the recipe to try and make them myself! Now, every Zia (aunt in Italian) will have a slightly different recipe, but this one is right from my mother in laws recipe booklet she gave me many years ago…see my Amaretti Cookie post for more on that sweet moment. I did make a few adjustments just to make sure I had the absolute best meltaway cookie, and I know you guys will not be disappointed.
how do you make pecan meltaways?
We start by finely chopping the pecans using our mini stick blender, you can also put them in a sandwich baggy and crush with a rolling pin. You are looking for a consistency like this:
Next, cream the butter with 3/4 cup of the sugar and add in the egg and vanilla until fluffy and creamed. Then in a medium bowl combine flour with baking powder, salt and chopped pecans (it will look like a crumble, see below).
Add dry mix to your butter mixture and stir until combined. Add in chocolate chips and stir to incorporate. Shape into small balls (about 3/4-1″) and place on lined baking sheet. Bake at 350 F for 10-12 minutes until very light golden around the edge. Cool completely and then roll each cookie in powdered sugar to finish off!
you may need…
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services
LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide
a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
As I mentioned above, we love to use our Stick Blender to finely chop our nuts, it is so much easier to get a consistent size which is important for these cookies. And because it is a full immersion blender as well, we use it for our soups and sauces too!
pecan meltaways full recipe
The wait is over my friends! Here is the full recipe for you to print out and enjoy for years to come. Be sure to leave us a comment below and let us know what you thought of these delicious Christmas Cookies!
Pecan Meltaways - Italian Cookie Balls
- 1/2 cup Finely Chopped Pecans
- 1/2 cup Unsalted Butter softened
- 3/4 cup Icing Sugar confectioners sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 Egg
- 1.5 cups Flour all purpose
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- pinch Salt
- 1/2 cup Icing Sugar for rolling
- Preheat oven to 350 F, prepare 2 baking sheets lined with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.
- Using a mixer (stand or hand) cream together your butter with sugar and add in vanilla and egg until creamy and smooth.
- In a medium bowl mix together flour with pecans, baking powder and salt. Add to butter mixture and stir to combine. Add in chocolate chips, stir until just incorporated (do not overmix).
- Shape into small balls (3/4-1") and place on baking sheet 12 at a time. Bake for 10-12 minutes until just lightly golden around the edge.
- Allow to cool completely and then roll each ball in powder sugar to coat.
more incredible cookies:
- Classic Italian Amaretti Cookies
- Whipped Shortbread Cookies
- 25 BEST Biscotti Recipes
- Coffee Glazed Molasses Cookies – Taste of Home