This hearty and delicious kale soup is full of fresh cubed sweet potatoes, red and white kidney beans and of course lots of kale! It’s flavor is rich and full without being heavy thanks to the simple broth base.
Welcome to our first recipe post of 2020 friends! We are all about comfort food like our Chicken and Dumplings – as you know if you have followed us for some time – but we like it to be a little lighter after all the heavy holiday food we’ve indulged in! That’s were this incredibly easy Kale Soup Recipe comes in; a delicious vegetable broth base loaded with fresh vegetables and super foods, as well as beans for the protein we crave! Bonus points for a totally vegan soup option this winter!
Kale Soup for the Soul
Whether you are a soup connoisseur or new to the delicious soup world, you’ve landed on this recipe because it spoke to you- and for good reason! We made sure this is the best recipe for kale soup out there by testing it using different cooking methods so that everyone can recreate it!
The traditional stove top method for this soup only takes 30 minutes, which is super fast for such a flavorful dish! You can also do this in the slow cooker if you prefer to set it and forget it for the day; simply do a quick saute of the onions with the oil and spices then mix everything together and set to cook for 6 hours on low heat. And lastly, if you are all about your Instant Pot you can even make your kale soup in it – taking only 10 minutes!
If you haven’t tried kale in your soup before you are going to become obsessed very quickly. During the cooking process it becomes soft and infused with all the flavors from the broth, sweet potatoes and beans, and the longer it sits the better it tastes, so you can make this on a Monday and have it all week long!
Ingredients for this Soup Recipe
- Fresh Kale – large bunch
- 2 Sweet Potatoes
- 1 Onion
- White and Red Kidney Beans
- Olive Oil
- Vegetable Broth
- Dried Basil and Oregano
FAQs for making Easy Soup
Here are some of the questions you guys have asked about making different soup recipes over the years – if you have a question that isn’t here feel free to leave a comment or email us and we will respond as soon as we can!
Can you Freeze Kale Soup?
Yes! Freezing this soup is one of the best ways to ensure you have quick and easy meals for your busy weeknights. Simply wait for the soup to cool off before adding to a tightly sealed container and then place it flat in your freezer. When you are ready to enjoy it again you don’t even need to defrost it in the fridge first; simply remove the container from the freezer and run under warm water for 15 seconds to loosen the sides. Then place the whole frozen block of soup in a sauce pan over medium heat to come to a rapid boil.
What to put in Kale Soup?
What you put into your soup is going to vary based off of your families preferences; but a good place to start is with the recipe we have for you below. From there you can always add in more veggies like celery, carrots or even bok choy! You can even add in some browned turkey sausage if you want to add a meat protein.
Be sure to PIN THIS RECIPE so you have it for later!
Other Ideas for Soup Recipes
- Instant Pot Butternut Squash Soup –
deliciously easy soup recipe with hints of curry and brown sugar!
- Sweet Potato Coconut Milk Soup –
ready in under 30 minutes, a great comfort food recipe for the new year
- Hearty Vegetable Soup – Taste of Home
- Chicken Noodle Soup – The Kitchn
You May Need …
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services
LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide
a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Depending on the method you are using to make your soup you may need a new Dutch Oven or Instant Pot! If you don’t already have either of these two kitchen staples then I suggest you take a look at them now to make your weeknight cooking game easier.
Easy Soup Recipe
If you made this recipe please be sure to rate it and leave us a comment below and let us know what you thought!!
Hearty Kale Soup
- 1 large bunch Kale, washed and chopped
- 1 large Onion, chopped
- 2 medium Sweet Potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 cans Kidney Beans, rinsed and drained we did red and white
- 6 cups Vegetable Broth
- 6 cloves Garlic, chopped
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 tsp Dried Basil
- 1 tsp Dried Oregano
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Begin by prepping your kale, sweet potatoes, onion and garlic cloves and set aside.
- Heat Dutch Oven (or large saucepan) over medium heat and saute onion with olive oil and spices until tender, approx 3 mins.
- Add in the kale, sweet potatoes and garlic – toss to coat. Add in broth and beans and stir to incorporate.
- Bring soup to a boil over medium-high heat, reduce and simmer uncovered for 20-25 minutes until sweet potatoes are tender.
- Stir in salt and pepper to taste. Serve hot and enjoy!
- Follow steps 1-3, but combine everything in your slow cooker. Set to low heat for 6-8 hours.
- Follow steps 1-3, sauteing and adding ingredients in your Instant Pot instead. Set to Soup function (10 minutes at high pressure) allow to naturally release pressure for 10 minutes once done.