Share for the love of FOOD!
These easy Amaretti Cookies are just like Nonna makes – soft chewy center with a delicately crisp outside, coated in sugar and topped with a roasted almond! The perfect cookie for dunking in a cup of tea while catching up with loved ones.
This Amaretti Cookie recipe is a very special one for me, especially this year…you see, my mother in law (who was Italian) passed away last month from a brain tumor after a very long battle, and this cookie was one she used to make for every special event and holiday.
I still remember when she gave me the recipe, “Meli, one day you will want these recipes, you know to make the cookies like how I make” and boy was she ever right! These Amaretti Cookies are so easy to make, they make a ton (8 dozen!) they are full of almond flavor and they go perfectly with a cup of tea or coffee!
Post Updated: February 13, 2020
Be sure to PIN THIS ITALIAN AMARETTI COOKIE RECIPE so you have it for baking later!
They are a wonderful cookie for freezing, and with the amount that they make you can bet you will always have some on hand for your holiday guests. Now, we made them in 1/2″ balls but next time I would go a little smaller, a little bit more bite sized is what I was going for!
Aren’t they beautiful?! I love the almond on top, the crunch adds a nice surprise when you are eating the cookie, and if you are wanting to make them a little more festive you can always roll them in a colored sugar rather than white granulated sugar.
Frequently Asked Questions
Amaretti cookies are a delicious Italian cookie that is made using eggs, flour, sugar and almond extract as well as some basic baking ingredients like baking powder and salt. Ours are even topped with a whole almond for an extra touch!
Amaretti is a small Italian cookie that tastes like almonds thanks to the addition of almond extract. It is the right amount of sweetness with an incredible texture – soft and chewy on the inside with a slight crunch on the outside thanks to the process of rolling in sugar.
Looking for even more cookies like our amaretti cookies?
- Brownie Biscotti– a rich and delicious chocolaty cookie, perfect for dipping in coffee!
- Butter Lemon Snow Drop Cookies
- Betty Crocker Christmas Cookie Headquarters
- Classic Whipped Shortbread Cookie – everyone NEEDS this recipe in their cookie box, the perfect gifting cookie!
Did you make this recipe? Please be sure to rate it 5 stars and leave us a comment below and let us know what you thought!!
- 4 large Eggs
- 2 c White sugar +more for rolling
- 1 c Vegetable Oil
- 1.5 tbsp Almond Extract
- 1 medium Lemon, need both the peel and juice
- 4 tbsp Cocoa Powder
- 4 tsp Baking Powder
- 5 c Flour, +/- depending on consistency of dough
- Almonds for tops of cookies
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In stand mixer beat together eggs and sugar until blended. Add in oil, lemon (zest of full lemon as well as juice) and extract, mix well.
- In small bowl sift together your cocoa and baking powder, add to wet ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Dough will be very wet, you want to add your flour in 1c at a time and mix. Your dough should come together after the 4th cup, then you add by 1/4c increments until the dough is "workable" (you need to be able to roll with your hands into little balls). You will need approx 5c of flour, but may need slightly more or less depending on your wet measures.
- Pour 1c sugar into small bowl. Roll dough into balls (aprox 1/2") and roll into sugar.
- Place cookies on silicone mat or parchment paper and gently press an almond into the tops...the cookie will push down into a disc shape.
- Bake for 11-13 minutes (you want them slightly golden around the edge, this ensures you have a nice crunchy outside and soft inside!).
Serving Size:1 cookie
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 78Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 8mgSodium: 36mgCarbohydrates: 11gFiber: 0gSugar: 5gProtein: 1g
*Please note that nutritional values are not always 100% accurate and are to be used as a guide.
Be sure to check out the other yummy treats in our Christmas Baking Frenzy (13 Days in total)!! In fact, why don’t you BOOKMARK that page now, as we do a new Christmas Frenzy every year with yummy treats to be shared around the Holidays!