This easy to make Apple Cobbler Dump Cake uses a boxed cake mix along with fresh apples and a handful of other ingredients to make a delicious Fall dessert.
Fall is one of my favorite times of year for baking – there is something about having the windows open for the crisp breeze to blow through the house while the oven is on baking delicious treats for me to share.
In this case, it seemed only fitting with a two year old running around my house for me to share a simple, quick apple cobbler (or apple dump cake). This is one that can be tossed together in 10 minutes, leaving you plenty of time to chase your kiddos (or grandkids) while it bakes.
Be sure to pin this apple dump cake recipe so you have it for later!
Ingredient Notes and Variations
The following may contain affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
There are only a handful of ingredients you need in order to make this apple cake, and here are a few quick tips and variations to ensure you get the most delicious outcome!
Boxed Cake Mix
This recipe calls for a vanilla cake mix, but you can easily substitute that with a pumpkin cake mix to make an incredible pumpkin apple dump cake instead! The vanilla is classic and pairs nicely with the spices in the recipe, so be sure to omit them if you choose to use pumpkin cake mix instead as it will already have the spices in it.
The type of apple you choose to use will make a difference in how this cake turns out. I prefer to use either Gala apples or Courtland apples for the best flavor and texture. Other apple varieties (like McIntosh) will become too soggy and not hold up well for this recipe.
The apple pie spices are the second star of this dish, only slightly behind the apples themselves! They take it from a simple vanilla cake with chopped apples, and turn it into an apple pie cobbler like nothing you’ve had before.
The best part? You don’t need to have prepared apple pie spice on hand, it is a simple mix of cinnamon, granulated sugar, nutmeg, ginger and ground cloves.
How to make Apple Cobbler Dump Cake
A few simple steps and you will be ready to dig into this apple cobbler with a scoop of vanilla ice cream!
- Preheat oven to 375F and grease a 9″x13″ baking dish.
- Combine apples with lemon juice in a medium bowl, toss to coat and then spread into the prepared baking dish.
- In a small bowl mix sugar with apple pie spices to combine. Sprinkle over the apples and use a spoon to mix and coat.
- Sprinkle boxed cake mix over apple mixture and then pour melted butter over top. Use a fork to break up any large pieces of cake mix.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes, until cake is golden on top and bubbling.
More Fall Desserts
- 1 box vanilla cake mix
- 6 medium apples, peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon apple pie spice
- ¾ cup melted unsalted butter
- Preheat oven to 375F, lightly grease a 9"x13" baking dish and set aside.
- Add apples to a medium bowl and pour lemon juice over top. Mix to coat.
- Add in apple pie spice and sugar and stir to evenly coat.
- Add apple mixture to prepared baking dish and sprinkle cake mix over the top.
- Pour melted butter over top and gently shake to distribute. Use a spoon to break any large clumps of cake mix on top.
- Bake 35 minutes, or until top is golden brown.
Serving Size:1 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 546Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 46mgSodium: 485mgCarbohydrates: 92gFiber: 4gSugar: 62gProtein: 3g
*Please note that nutritional values are not always 100% accurate and are to be used as a guide.
Be sure to subscribe to our Email List so you can always get delicious recipes and ideas to your inbox for FREE!