Easy Sweet Potato Soup Recipe
An easy 15 minute creamy and flavorful Sweet Potato Soup that’s made using items found in your pantry – sweet potatoes, onions, coconut milk and spices.
Soup to me is comfort food at its finest – and this recipe is one that is so versatile as far as cooking method and flavors, that I know everyone will love it. It is also a great way to use up those sweet potatoes sitting in your pantry in a new and tasty dish that isn’t roasted or mashed!
Instant Pot saves dinner time
Whether you are new to the world of the Instant Pot (pressure cooker) or have been using one for years, you will know right away why this little appliance is a favorite in so many kitchens. The amount of time it saves for things like soups, stews and even cooking whole chickens makes weeknight meals good again.
The flavors of the soup are so deep you would think it was cooked the entire day – just like our Butternut Squash Soup recipe!
Did you see our Pressure Cooker Lasagna we made in it the other week? I am still getting tons of comments from you guys about how blown away you are that it can be made in under 30 minutes…I know right?! Anyways, back to this recipe.
When we had some cooler weather last week I was inspired to create this incredibly creamy and flavorful Sweet Potato Soup in my new pressure cooker! Look at the ingredients, simple when they are on their own but delicious when paired together.
Ingredients – what to add to Sweet Potato Soup
- Olive Oil
- White Onion
- Sweet Potatoes
- Coconut Milk
- Vegetable Broth
- Smoked Paprika
The addition of the chopped carrots and coconut milk to our Sweet Potato Soup are what really help set it apart and make it so creamy.
As you noticed we also added in some smoked paprika with chipotle (this is optional if you don’t like spice) but honestly I am not a spicy food person and this is just the right amount to add that smoky flavor without burning your tongue off. I just love the overall texture of this soup and I especially love how filling it is.
Frequently asked questions
Yes, freezing this soup is a great way to have an even quicker weeknight meal! Just be sure to let it cool before adding to a tightly sealed container and placing in the freezer. When it is time to reheat it I prefer to put it in a pot on the stove with about 1/4c of water over medium heat for 10 minutes.
If your soup is too runny for your liking you can do a couple of things to thicken it up. You can simply add less liquid in the cooking phase (i.e. 3/4c broth instead) or you can add more potatoes. Like with other broth based soups you can also do a simple cornstarch or flour addition to the soup and allow it to boil to have it thicken quickly. Our recipe is perfectly balanced for a nice thick soup, so you shouldn’t need to thicken it more.
We add unique and delicious spices to our potato soup recipe to make it stand out with a full bodied flavor – and it is far from boring! Adding spices like ginger, cumin, smoked paprika and cinnamon all compliment the sweet potatoes to pull out the perfect amount of sweetness matched with the earthiness of the potato.
Yes! We have altered this recipe and tested it to make sure it will work on the stovetop as well, and it is just as delicious! It does take a little bit more time so be sure to keep that in mind. You will still prepare your ingredients the same way but instead of adding to the IP you add to a large stockpot over medium heat. When all ingredients have been added in you will cook the soup covered for 30 minutes before moving on to blending it.
Be sure to pin this delicious Sweet Potato Soup Recipe so you have it for later!
More like this
- 34 Fall Soup Recipes – Country Living
- Chicken and Dumplings – one pot meal
- Easy Bone Broth French Onion Soup – Crumb Top Baking
- Kale and Sweet Potato Soup Recipe
- Garlic Cheddar Biscuits – the perfect biscuit to dip
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- ½ White Onion, Chopped
- 2 medium Carrots, Chopped
- 2 large Sweet Potatoes, Peeled and Chopped
- 3 cloves Garlic, diced
- 1 can Coconut Milk, 395ml
- 1 c Vegetable Broth, we use the bouillon powder and add water
- 1 tsp Smoked Paprika + Chipotle, *add more or less for your spice preference
- ½ tsp Cinnamon
- ¼ tsp Ginger
- 1 tsp Cumin
- Set the Pressure Cooker to sauté function and add in the onion, carrots and sweet potatoes. Allow to cook for 4 mins, stirring until softened.
- Add in the garlic and all spices and sauté for another minute.
- Press Cancel/Stop to turn off the cooker. Add coconut milk (reserving a small amount to garnish if you wish), and broth to the pot along with a pinch of salt and pepper. Gently stir to mix the ingredients.
- Seal the Pressure Cooker and cook using the Soup Function at medium pressure (depending in your model you may need to use a manual function, check your manual for directions) for 15 minutes.
- After it has finished, and using an oven mitt, apply a quick pressure release to completely depressurize (until the floating valve drops).
- Carefully remove the lid and stir the soup to incorporate all ingredients
- Using an immersion blender or regular blender you want to carefully blend the soup until it is completely smooth.
- Taste for additional seasonings and adjust to your taste preferences. Top soup with a drizzle of coconut milk and chives or basil for presentation.
Soup will thicken as it sits, if you prefer it to be thinner just add in additional milk/cream right before serving. Ensure you have "warmed" the milk for 10 seconds first so it doesn't curdle.
Serving Size:1 bowl
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 239Total Fat: 19gSaturated Fat: 13gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 310mgCarbohydrates: 18gFiber: 3gSugar: 5gProtein: 3g
*Please note that nutritional values are not always 100% accurate and are to be used as a guide.
Be sure to subscribe to our Email List so you can always get delicious recipes and ideas to your inbox for FREE!
Just think, with a few simple ingredients and no time at all you will be able to serve your family a scrumptious Fall Soup that everyone is sure to love!