Back to school is right around the corner where we are, which means it is time for EASY weeknight meals that the entire family will love! This Lemon Chicken Piccata is super simple to make (with just a few ingredients) and has a flavor that will blow your mind. It is one of my go-to meals for a busy week when my hubby and I just don’t feel like spending much time in the kitchen. Take a look for yourself at how delicious it is.
Another reason I love this dish so much is its versatility, you can use chicken breasts or thighs and you don’t need to worry about the bones if you want to serve it a little more rustic I say go for it…who is gonna judge you?! Just remember to adjust your cooking time if you choose thighs or a bone-in chicken breast as it will take a little bit longer to cook through. Ready to get started?
Lemon Chicken Piccata – Easy 30 Min Dinner
- 4 Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
- 1/4 c Flour
- 3 tbsp Corn Starch
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 Lemon zested and juiced
- 1/2 bunch Fresh Dill rough chopped
- 1 tsp Capers rough chopped
- 1/4 c White Wine or Chicken broth if you prefer
- 1/4 c Water
- Salt and Pepper
- Olive Oil for cooking
- Prepare your chicken for dredging by cutting it into smaller sections and gently pounding out with a meat tenderizer (or rolling pin) you want your chicken to be very thin so it cooks quickly. In a low sided dish mix together flour, corn starch ,garlic powder and a pinch of salt and pepper.
- In a large skillet heat 2-3 tbsp olive oil (or oil of your choice for frying) over medium heat.
- Coat each piece of chicken with your flour mixture, gently shaking off any excess, and put aside on a plate. When all pieces are coated, begin cooking them. Be sure to let them cook 2-3 mins a side and flip. Repeat until all chicken is cooked (we normally do it in 2 batches).
- Remove chicken from the pan and set aside.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and add in wine, water, lemon juice and capers. Scrape up any bits from the chicken and let your sauce come to a low simmer. Add the chicken back into the pan with 1/2 of your chopped dill and let cook 2 mins until sauce is thick.
- Arrange chicken on a serving dish and top with the rest of your dill and lemon zest.
Lemon Chicken Piccata is also a great meal for entertaining, people will think you spent hours in the kitchen with the depth of flavor that it brings to the table, and you can really pretty it up on a nice serving tray! If you are trying to impress the in-laws this is a good recipe to have in your back pocket (wink wink). If you love easy, low maintenance meals with tons of flavor be sure to check out my Beef Stroganoff as well (one of the most visited recipes on the entire site!).