This Cheesy Tuna Noodle Casserole is one of our go-to meals for during the week…especially when we don’t have anything thawed and ready to go! It is a super quick, 30 minute meal (including your prep) and is loaded with flavor to satisfy your deepest comfort food cravings. Just take a look at the cheesy goodness this Tuna Casserole offers:
The secret to our Tuna Noodle Casserole is the sauce you make to mix with the noodles before putting it into the oven. It is where all the flavor lies, and really makes the difference between a delicious casserole and a dry one. Every single noodle gets coated in the sauce, and because we like to use rigatoni, the sauce gets inside the tubes so every bite is bursting with flavor!
This is the perfect comfort dish for the cooler Fall days ahead, and it pairs perfectly with a simple salad or steamed veggies. Want to know what else is awesome about it?! You can prepare up to the step where you would put it in the oven and FREEZE it for later! Yep, I am all about meals I can grab and cook while I do the million other things that need tending in my house during the week. If you are one of those people who preps your meals ahead of time, take this recipe and double it. Pop one in the oven tonight and freeze one for a night when you just want to hit “bake” on your oven, you will thank me later.
Cheesy Tuna Noodle Casserole
- 2 cans Flaked White Tuna
- 1 medium Onion diced
- 3 cloves Garlic minced
- 1 cup Frozen Peas
- 2 cups Chicken or Vegetable Broth
- 1.5 cups Grated Cheddar Cheese
- 1/4 cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
- 1 package Rigatoni Pasta or any type you prefer
- 1/4 cup Italian Breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1/4 cup Cold Water
- 1 tbsp Corn Starch
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil, add in your pasta and cook until al dente (see package for timing) Reserve 1 cup of pasta water in case you need to thin out your sauce. Continue steps below while pasta cooks.
- In a medium sauce pan heat olive oil over high heat and saute onions until translucent (about 5 minutes) add in minced garlic and cook until fragrant. Add both cans of tuna and cook on medium heat for 2 minutes.
- Pour broth into tuna mixture and add frozen peas. Continue to cook at a low simmer until pasta is finished. Strain pasta and transfer to a 9"x 13" casserole dish.
- In a small bowl mix together cold water with cornstarch and add to your tuna mixture, allow to simmer for 1 minute and remove from heat.
- Stir in the grated parmesan cheese and then pour half of the mixture over your pasta. Stir to mix and then top the pasta with remaining sauce. Sprinkle top with breadcrumbs, fresh pepper and grated cheddar cheese.
- Cook in preheated oven for 10 minutes, until the top is brown and cheese is melted.
Tips and tricks for your Cheesy Tuna noodle Casserole
- If you don’t have Italian Breadcrumbs you can make them yourself! Using regular bread crumbs, add in a pinch of dried basil, oregano and parsley, as well as a handful of finely grated Parmesan cheese.
- We like to use Flaked White Tuna but you can use your favorite tuna
- No frozen peas? That’s ok! You can substitute with fresh ones, or use edamame (shelled) or chopped fresh/frozen greens (kale, swiss chard etc)
- Want it a little spicy? Add in a tbsp of chili pepper flakes, or top with your favorite hot sauce!
If you are looking for more delicious Comfort Foods like this tuna noodle casserole, check these out:
- Twenty Minute Beef Stroganoff
- Classic Comfort Foods – BHG
- Lemon Chicken Picatta
- Easy Italian Stuffed Peppers