Tuna Melt - Canned tuna, no mayo!
Easy Mediterranean Tuna Melts- canned tuna, black olives, halloumi cheese, fresh parsley and pitas, these tuna melts are made for even the pickiest eaters
- 2 cans Flaked Light Tuna in water
- ½ Red Onion sliced and roughly chopped
- 1 the juice from 1 whole lemon
- ¼ cup Kalamata Olives Chopped, pitted
- ½ cup Fresh Parsley rough chopped
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil *more for cooking
- ½ tsp Paprika we use smoked chipotle variety
- 1 tbsp Oregano (dried)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 4 Pitas - can be white or whole wheat sliced in half to create two rounds
- 1 pkg Halloumi Cheese Sliced thin (approx 150g)
Begin by preheating your oven to 350°F, then drain tuna well and put in a medium bowl.
Add in 2 tbsp olive oil, parsley, onion, olives, lemon juice, salt, pepper, oregano and paprika and mix well until all ingredients are combined.
Evenly spread the tuna on the pita halves and top with the thinly sliced cheese and the other pita half.
Heat oil in large pan over medium-high and cook the pitas until they are toasted - flipping once. (Approximately 3 minutes/side). Place on a baking sheet and bake for an additional 5 minutes until the tuna melts are heated through.