Weeknight dinner will never be boring again thanks to our deliciously easy Mediterranean Tuna Melts! Using canned tuna, black olives, halloumi cheese, fresh parsley and pitas, these tuna melts are made for even the pickiest eaters.
Mediterranean Recipes are the hottest must make dishes right now, and with good reason too! This canned tuna melt recipe comes together in no time and is so full of flavor you won’t even miss the meat.
weeknight tuna melt – a no brainer!
We are all about making quick, easy and delicious meals for busy weeknights that we can share with you; just take a look at our Easy 30 Minute (or less) Weeknight Meals Round-up! Who has time for a 2 hour pot roast during the week? I get that we want to feed our kids balanced meals and I know a lot of families (including us) that swear by canned tuna for recipes like their tuna casseroles, so why not try it in a tuna melt as well?
What kid doesn’t love cheese anyways? All you do for these easy tuna melts is chop up some olives, parsley and red onion and toss together with your tuna and lemon juice before assembling in pitas with cheese for the perfect dinner. And the kids will LOVE getting in the kitchen to help with these; prep your filling earlier in the day (or even the night before) and then create an assembly station for them to layer the pitas!
If you want to make them over the top delicious I suggest whipping up a batch of our Creamy Greek Dressing for dipping too – this takes the flavor to an entirely new level that everyone will love!
Ingredients for Mediterranean Tuna Melts
- Canned Tuna
- Fresh Parsley
- Red Onion
- Pitted Kalamata Olives
- Salt, Pepper, Paprika
- Olive Oil
- Halloumi Cheese
Be sure to pin this Mediterranean Recipe for Tuna Melts so you have it for later!
More Weeknight Meal Ideas
- 30 Minute Chicken Piccata – a simple piccata recipe that doesn’t lack flavor – it comes together in only 30 minutes
- Tuna Pasta with Peas – Tuna, peas, onions and a simple broth make this dish one you will eat over and over again
- Instant Pot Lasagna Recipe – uses the same quality ingredients like ricotta, ground beef and lots of shredded mozzarella cheese but takes half the time
- Air Fryer Mini Italian Meatloaves – Better Homes and Gardens
You may need
The following may contain affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Gone are the days of the old fashioned can opener – you know the one…the big clunky metal one that you have to crank 20 times just to get the can open!! Not to mention the razor sharp edge it leaves on the can – who else has sliced their finger trying to remove the lid??
We are obsessed with our Smooth Edge Can Opener – and have had it for almost 10 years without needing to replace it. It still works just as good as the day we got it, and I haven’t had to deal with any sliced fingers for a very, very long time (well not from my cans anyways…paper cuts are another story LOL!
Healthy Tuna Melt Recipe
Tuna Melt – Canned tuna, no mayo!
- 2 cans Flaked Light Tuna in water
- ½ Red Onion sliced and roughly chopped
- 1 the juice from 1 whole lemon
- ¼ cup Kalamata Olives Chopped, pitted
- ½ cup Fresh Parsley rough chopped
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil *more for cooking
- ½ tsp Paprika we use smoked chipotle variety
- 1 tbsp Oregano (dried)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 4 Pitas – can be white or whole wheat sliced in half to create two rounds
- 1 pkg Halloumi Cheese Sliced thin (approx 150g)
- Begin by preheating your oven to 350°F, then drain tuna well and put in a medium bowl.
- Add in 2 tbsp olive oil, parsley, onion, olives, lemon juice, salt, pepper, oregano and paprika and mix well until all ingredients are combined.
- Evenly spread the tuna on the pita halves and top with the thinly sliced cheese and the other pita half.
- Heat oil in large pan over medium-high and cook the pitas until they are toasted – flipping once. (Approximately 3 minutes/side). Place on a baking sheet and bake for an additional 5 minutes until the tuna melts are heated through.