I know what you are thinking…How on EARTH could you make a classic like Peach Crisp THE BEST?! Well let me just tell you. I had a few peaches left over after making my Delicious Peach Stuffed French Toast last week and wanted to make a simple dessert for me and hubby to enjoy after dinner.
So, here I am all excited to make my Peach Crisp, gathering my ingredients when I realize I am OUT of a staple….my oats!! I am not even kidding, everything was mixed and ready to go and here I am with a pile of brown sugar and butter just staring at my bowl. I panicked and opened my baking cupboard to see what else I had that I could possibly use and I noticed a small bag of bulk corn flakes left from the last time I made my Peanut Butter Squares. Ahhh Haaa! I was saved! But how do you use cereal for a crisp you ask? Well friends, this is what makes this Peach Crisp the BEST EVER. Just look at the crispiness below!
Traditionally when making a crisp with oats I find that by the time my oat mixture comes to a nice golden crunchy brown my peaches (or apples if making my apple crisp) are mush. Not with this recipe! The corn flake cereal takes much less time to cook with the butter and sugars which mean you end up with lovely peaches, not mushy ones, underneath your sweet crispy top! Just trust me! Make this crisp and let me know below how much you loved this one vs your traditional one!
Sometimes running out of staple ingredients is just the kick you need to create the Best Ever of anything…so instead of freaking out and turning into a crazy flour covered woman next time, I will just open my cupboard and see what else I have to use instead and share with you another one of my “mistake-turned-great” recipes!
Best Ever Peach Crisp Recipe
- 4 Peaches rinsed and sliced
- 2 tbsp Sugar
- 1/8 tsp Cinnamon
- Nutmeg just a pinch, I use fresh and pass over the rasp twice
- Salt just a pinch
- 2 c Corn Flakes gently crushed so they are not large flakes
- 1/3 c Butter softened, or margarine
- 1/4 c Brown Sugar
- 2 tbsp Flour
- Mix Peaches with cinnamon, nutmeg and salt in an 8x8 baking dish.
- In a medium bowl mix together the corn flakes, butter, brown sugar and flour using a fork. It will begin to look like a "crumble".
- Once everything is mixed together, place over your peach mixture, gently press down with fork to fill any holes.
- Place in preheated oven (350 degrees Fahrenheit) for 15-20 minutes until the top is golden brown.
- Serve with vanilla bean ice cream and enjoy!
This page may contain affiliate links, please see my Disclosures Page for more information