Beef Stroganoff is a classic family dish that is full of flavor thanks to the chopped cremini mushrooms, garlic and Worcestershire sauce! Our version uses ground beef to make it a budget friendly meal that can be made any night of the week in just 20 minutes.
Here is a classic dish made simple (you don’t have to use fancy beef to get the same flavor in my stroganoff)! Although it may look super decadent (and by that we all know I mean fattening) I promise you it isn’t! In fact, the worst thing in it is the sour cream and you can choose which percentage you want to use to adjust to your taste and lifestyle. *Side note…did you know they make a lactose free sour cream?! My hubby discovered it for me when he went to grab the ingredients to make this dish! Yay!!*
Anyway…all you need is a few ingredients and 20 minutes of your time and you will have this gorgeously yummy dish on your table and in your tummy!
my family loves beef stroganoff
We are fond of quick weeknight meals in our house and our stroganoff recipe is one I turn to time and time again when I am stuck on what to make for dinner. I love the versatility of the dish; I can use any kind of mushroom (we’ve even had readers use canned ones!) and even if my ground beef is still slightly frozen I know I can start it in the pan and within a couple of minutes it will be ready to go.
Technically speaking you serve ground beef stroganoff with egg noodles, but we have also served us over rice and even couscous. Be creative with your version, do what your family loves and you know will devour. This is even a dish you can serve to your in-laws or when you are having a dinner party with a nice crusty bread that will leave your guests licking their lips for more. It is so incredibly easy to make and I know you are going to love it too!
FAQ WHEN MAKING BEEF STROGANOFF
CAN YOU MAKE BEEF STROGANOFF THE DAY BEFORE?
Yes!!! In fact, if you are meal prepping I would suggest making your stroganoff the day before as the flavors get even better as it sits. Keep in mind that when reheating your sour cream may separate a little bit so you can hold off on adding it in until you are ready to serve the dish. Also, if making with egg noodles then you will boil those right before serving as I find they can get stuck together if made in advance. We have even made the entire dish and froze portions in ziploc bags for later dinners and it was INCREDIBLE!
WHAT KIND OF BEEF IS USED FOR BEEF STROGANOFF?
In the traditional method for beef stroganoff it calls for strips of beef (either sirloin or beef tenderloin) but we have been using ground beef in our version for over a decade and it tastes just as good! Bonus points for how quick and easy it is to make with ground beef, not to mention the savings on the meat, making it a budget friendly meal
what do you serve beef stroganoff with?
Typically it is served with egg noodles, or some type of pasta but as I mentioned we have done ours with both rice and couscous. You can also serve it over a bed of mashed potatoes, which would soak up all the delicious sauce. As far as other sides, we like to serve ours with green beans, broccoli or a nice salad and of course some crusty bread for dipping.
YOU MAY NEED
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services
LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide
a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
When making your Ground Beef Stroganoff it is important to have a large, sturdy bottomed pan – since it is a one pan meal you want to make sure it can hold all the goodness without spilling over!
recipe for ground beef stroganoff
20 Minute Ground Beef Stroganoff
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 2 c fresh mushrooms I use cremini, sliced
- 1 onion sliced
- 2 garlic cloves chopped
- 1/4 c margarine you can use butter if you prefer
- 1 1/2 c beef broth I use the boulion cubes and mix with water ahead of time!
- 2-3 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- this is really to your own preference...we LOVE it so we always add more!
- 1/4 c flour
- 1 c sour cream
- salt to taste
- 1 pkg egg noodles cooked and drained
- Cook mushrooms and onions in the butter in a medium skillet over medium heat. Stir occasionally and add garlic when onions are just tender. Remove from pan and set aside in a bowl for later.
- Cook your ground beef in the same pan until fully browned (about 7 mins). Stir in 1c of the broth along with salt and the worcestershire sauce. Allow this to come to a boil before turning down the heat and simmering (covered) for 10 mins.
- Stir your remaining broth with the flour to create a liquid paste and add to beef mixture. Add your onion mixture back in and heat to a boil, stirring constantly (you will see it thicken). Stir in your sour cream until just heated.
- Serve over egg noodles and ENJOY!
more like this recipe