This Caramel Apple Coffee Cake will become a new favorite to bake up in the Fall, loaded with all the flavors you love when the seasons start to change!
Fall is in full swing and Thanksgiving has just finished for us in Canada, which meant a ton of baking and trying new things in my kitchen! I decided I wanted to use apples (one because they are in season, and two because APPLES) in my dessert and knew of course that any old cake recipe wasn’t going to do. I thought taking my Coffee Cake Recipe and adding a twist would be perfect, so that is what I did! I introduce to you my delicious Caramel Apple Coffee Cake :
This Caramel Apple Coffee Cake is truly a Fall dessert worthy of your Holiday table. It is full of spice, chopped walnuts and pieces of Honey Crisp apples and then topped with a streusel. BUT that’s not all, we then took it one step further and created a Homemade Caramel Sauce to drizzle over the top, taking this from a classic coffee cake recipe to a decadent dessert that can be enjoyed on its own or with a scoop of vanilla ice cream just like an apple pie!
If you have been looking for a moist coffee cake recipe look no further my friends. The batter of this cake reminds me of an apple fritter, perfectly moist and spiced with little pockets of crunch from the walnuts and apple chunks. I am telling you this will be devoured by anyone who tries it! Thank goodness we made 3 smaller loaves so we could dig in before sharing with our family.
Caramel Apple Coffee Cake
- 1/2 cup Butter melted
- 2 Eggs
- 3 cups Flour AP
- 1 cup Granulated Sugar
- 2 tsp Vanilla
- 4 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 cup chopped Honey Crisp Apples peeled and diced small
- 1.5 cups Milk we use 1%
- pinch Kosher Salt
- 1/2 cup Chopped Walnuts
- 1 tbsp Apple Pie Spice
- 1 cup Flour AP
- 3/4 cup Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 6 tbsp Butter melted
- 1 Honey Crisp Apple Thinly Sliced for under the streusel (see photo)
- 1/2 cup Caramel Sauce
- Preheat oven to 350 F, grease one 9×13 pan or 3 small loaf pans (approx. 9×5).
- Combine all cake ingredients, except the walnuts and apple pieces, in a stand mixer and beat on medium low speed until well mixed.
- Fold in your walnuts and apples, gently mixing until combined.
- Pour into your prepared pan(s), be sure to divide evenly if using multiple.
- Top cake with your sliced apples before adding streusel.
- In a small bowl combine all topping ingredients, mix with a fork until butter coats the flour and begins to form small pea size crumbles.
- Sprinkle over the top of your cake and gently press into apple slices. Sprinkle walnuts over top if desired.
- Bake cake for 30-40 minutes (this will vary based off of your pans and oven so PLEASE set a timer and check for toothpick to come out clean after 30 mins)
- Once cooled drizzle the cake with your caramel sauce!
There are a couple of options for the caramel sauce, we chose to make our own as it is super easy and tastes better than anything you will get at the store! However, you can choose to use your favorite store brand and drizzle along the top when the cake has cooled.
Shopping list for caramel apple coffee cake
- Chopped Walnuts
- Honey Crisp Apples
- Apple Pie Spice
- Granulated Sugar
- Brown Sugar
- Half and Half
- Baking Powder
more fall desserts like this
- Pumpkin Spice Scones with Spiced Frosting
- 40 Easy Fall Desserts – Woman’s Day
- Gingerbread Biscotti
- Apple Crisp – Chatelaine
- Cranberry Apple Pie