A delicious Quinoa Salad recipe with Mediterranean inspired flavors – tomatoes, peppers, red onion and fresh basil along with the cooked quinoa are combined with a fresh and zingy lemon vinaigrette for a light and fresh salad.
Summer is all about fresh ingredients and outdoor meals for us, that’s why this Quinoa Salad is perfect for the hot days that are still ahead! It uses just a few ingredients to transform plain quinoa into a delicious side dish (or main meal if you want to add protein like grilled chicken) and although we make this more in the summertime, you can definitely enjoy it on cooler days as well.
You can customize the salad to your tastes too, so if you prefer zucchini over cucumber or cherry tomatoes over peppers, feel free to throw em in.
The dressing is just as simple as the salad itself, and can be used on a variety of green salads as well! So grab your ingredients and pack your picnic bag, it’s time to make this yummy Mediterranean inspired Quinoa Salad.
Frequently asked questions
If you have a question that isn’t answered below please leave a comment or email us so we can answer it for you!
How long does quinoa salad last
We love to prepare ingredients for the salad ahead of time and keep it undressed in the fridge, generally this can be for up to 4 days. If yours is already dressed with the vinaigrette you will want to use it within 24 hours so it doesn’t get too soggy.
How to prepare quinoa salad
This salad is so easy to prepare – simply boil and cook the quinoa while you chop your vegetables and basil. Once finished allow the quinoa to cool until it is no longer hot and you can add the chopped veggies. Top with dressing about 30 minutes before serving to allow the flavors to blend.
How to season quinoa salad
Quinoa will absorb any flavor you cook it with so we prefer to cook ours in vegetable broth rather than water alone. This ensures a flavorful bite each time. Think of it like pasta – you would never eat pasta that hasn’t been cooked in salted water right? It would just be too bland without that injection of flavor!
Once the quinoa has been cooked and cooled it is always nice to add in a fresh herb along with the vegetables to really amp up the taste.
Be sure to PIN THIS QUINOA SALAD so you have it for later!
If you made this recipe please be sure to rate it, leave us a comment below and let us know what you thought!!
Easy Quinoa Salad Recipe with Lemon Vinaigrette
- 1 c Dry Quinoa Rinsed under cold water
- 1 c Water
- 1 c Vegetable Broth
- 1/2 lg Cucumber diced
- 1 lg Red Pepper diced
- 1/2 Red Onion diced
- 3 tbsp Fresh Basil or parsley if you prefer chopped
- 1/4 c Extra Virgin Olive Oil the good stuff guys, you don’t want it to be bitter!
- 1/4 c Lemon Juice fresh is best but concentrated is fine!
- 1 tbsp Dijon Mustard
- 3/4 tbsp Sugar
- 1 Garlic clove minced
- pinch of Salt
- Place medium pot over medium heat for about 2 mins to warm, add in quinoa and give a quick “toast” by swirling in the pot for 1 minute. Add in your water and broth with a pinch of salt and allow to come to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer until liquid is absorbed (about 10-12 minutes). Remove from heat and place in your serving bowl. Place in fridge to cool.
- Once quinoa has cooled add in remainder of the salad ingredients and toss.
- Combine all ingredients in a small bowl, whisk until well combined.
- Pour 1/2 of the dressing over the salad and add the remainder right before serving.
Be sure to subscribe to our Email List so you can always get delicious recipes and ideas to your inbox for FREE!