Not your typical Summer slaw recipe, this Kale Coleslaw uses fresh kale, gala apples, Parmesan cheese and a delicious fennel lemon vinaigrette dressing.
A good salad recipe is one that can be enjoyed any time of year, and we’ve customized this delicious kale slaw with ingredients to make it a winner year round – regardless of the temperature outside.
Regular coleslaws can get boring – it’s always the same thing right? Shredded cabbage, maybe some carrots and a mayo based dressing to top it off. While it seems to be a staple for any backyard BBQ or pool party we are sure that our grown up version will go over even better!
Do you ever find yourself staring into the fridge at all your fresh produce and wondering what the heck you’re gonna make with it that’s different than what you did the last 5 times you had kale in the crisper?!
I know the feeling … I try to get creative and mix up my recipes to keep it interesting in the Olive household for dinner, but sometimes even my creative juices run out. That’s why I love to have easy recipes like this salad on hand (uh hello 3 basic ingredients!) to add some wow factor to a repeat dinner, which for us is normally homemade pizza night!
- Fresh Kale
- Gala Apple (or any other apple that’s looking a little sad in the crisper)
- Fresh Grated Parmesan Cheese
- Fresh Garlic
- Fennel Seeds
- Olive Oil
- Lemon Juice
I have been in the kitchen a lot lately trying to come up with new and easy recipes I can share with you guys (if you don’t follow along with us on Instagram you totally should – we show behind the scenes stories that will make you LOL); I know you don’t have hours to spend making dinner every night and I am doing what I can to help you out.
This is our second year with a veggie garden in our backyard (yay us) and I am loving all my fresh kale. Since I am able to go out daily and harvest it I can get beautiful tender, young kale leaves, but don’t worry I have a really cool and simple trick to get full grown kale soft and ready for this simple kale slaw too. After all, we get mountains of snow here for like 5 months so you guys KNOW I have to buy my kale from the supermarket in the winter.
Be sure to PIN THIS KALE SLAW RECIPE so you have it for later!
More like this
- Kale and Broccoli Salad with Creamy Dressing
- Shredded Brussels Sprout Fall Salad
- Greek Chickpea Salad
- White Bean and Kale Salad — served warm or cold
- Easy Mediterranean Quinoa Salad
Frequently asked questions
Here are a couple of questions that are asked when people are looking to make salads using kale – if you have a question that isn’t answered below please email us or leave a comment so we can answer you!
The possibilities of what you can serve it with are really endless, but here are a couple ideas for you;
– Any grilled meat
– Pasta, like our Spinach Lasagna Roll Ups
– Hearty Stew – like our Moroccan Chicken Stew
– Holiday meals like turkey, ham etc
– Have it on it’s own! You can simply add a grilled meat on top or leave as is and just enjoy
Our recipe includes an easy to make fennel vinaigrette dressing that compliments the kale and apples and adds just the right amount of flavor to this salad.
You can also use a creamier dressing with this salad like a poppy seed dressing, or ranch too.
As I mentioned before, this is a super simple recipe that requires no skill whatsoever to make! You simple want to wash your ingredients and then remove the kale from the stem, see photo below (this can be done by holding in between two fingers, pinching and pulling at the same time). Once that is done you want to give a quick chop to the kale, massage it with your hands in the bowl to soften it up and add in the sliced apples. Top with dressing, toss and serve!
Did you make this recipe? Please be sure to rate it 5 stars and leave us a comment below and let us know what you thought!!
- 4 cups Fresh Kale
- 1 Gala Apple (or apple you prefer)
- 1 Clove Garlic, grated or finely minced
- 1 cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
- 1/4 cup good quality Olive Oil
- 3 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1 tsp Fennel Seeds, muddled or pulsed in food processor
- 1/4 tsp Kosher Salt
- 1/4 tsp Coarse Pepper
- Begin by washing kale and apple thoroughly.
- Remove stems of kale using a pinch and pull method, then roughly chop before tossing into large salad bowl. Using your hands, gently massage the kale between your fingers to soften it - you will feel it get wetter and less firm, this helps it absorb the dressing and is a nicer texture for eating.
- Slice (or julienne) apple, leaving the skin on for color. Toss into bowl with kale.
- Separately, in a small bowl, whisk together oil with lemon juice, fennel, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Pour dressing over salad and toss with half of the Parmesan. Top with remainder of cheese and serve.
This salad can be made a day in advance and dressed, the dressing will soak into the kale and make it softer so you may want to skip the massaging.
Serving Size:1 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 194Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 14mgSodium: 420mgCarbohydrates: 12gFiber: 3gSugar: 4gProtein: 7g
Note; nutritional values are not always 100% accurate
Be sure to subscribe to our Email List so you can always get delicious recipes and ideas to your inbox for FREE!