This Caramel Apple Coffee Cake will become a new favorite to bake up in the Fall, loaded with all the flavors you love when the seasons start to change!
Easy Apple Coffee Cake with Caramel Drizzle
Fall is in full swing and Thanksgiving has just finished for us in Canada, which meant a ton of baking and trying new things in my kitchen! I decided I wanted to use apples (one because they are in season, and two because APPLES) in my dessert and knew of course that any old cake recipe wasn’t going to do.
I thought taking my Coffee Cake Recipe and adding a twist would be perfect, so that is what I did! I introduce to you my delicious Caramel Apple Coffee Cake :
Post Updated: July 30, 2020
This Apple Coffee Cake is truly a Fall dessert worthy of your Holiday table. It is full of spice, chopped walnuts and pieces of Honey Crisp apples and then topped with a streusel.
BUT that’s not all, we then took it one step further and created a Homemade Caramel Sauce to drizzle over the top, taking this from a classic coffee cake recipe to a decadent dessert that can be enjoyed on its own or with a scoop of vanilla ice cream just like an apple pie!
- Flour AP
- Granulated Sugar
- Baking Powder
- Honey Crisp Apples
- pinch Kosher Salt
- Chopped Walnuts
- Apple Pie Spice
- Caramel Sauce
If you have been looking for a moist coffee cake recipe look no further my friends. The batter of this cake reminds me of an apple fritter, perfectly moist and spiced with little pockets of crunch from the walnuts and apple chunks.
I am telling you this will be devoured by anyone who tries it! Thank goodness we made 3 smaller loaves so we could dig in before sharing with our family.
There are a couple of options for the caramel sauce, we chose to make our own as it is super easy and tastes better than anything you will get at the store! However, you can choose to use your favorite store brand and drizzle along the top when the cake has cooled.
For the type of apple you use we prefer a good Honeycrisp as it is fantastic for baking and has the perfect mix of sweet and tart, but you can easily sub this out for another apple variety you prefer. Just be sure to choose one that will hold up well to baking like Fuji, Gala, Honey Gold, Cortland or Granny Smith!
Don’t have any Apple Pie Spice on hand? You can make your own at home by combining 2 parts cinnamon to 1 part nutmeg and a pinch of allspice. Be sure to keep it in a tightly sealed jar or container so you have it for other treats like French Toast, Pancakes and anything else your apple pie loving heart desires!
Did you make this recipe? Please be sure to rate it 5 stars and leave us a comment below and let us know what you thought!!
- 1/2 cup Butter, melted
- 2 Eggs
- 3 cups Flour, AP
- 1 cup Granulated Sugar
- 2 tsp Vanilla
- 4 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 cup chopped Honey Crisp Apples, peeled and diced small
- 1.5 cups Milk, we use 1%
- pinch Kosher Salt
- 1/2 cup Chopped Walnuts
- 1 tbsp Apple Pie Spice
- 1 cup Flour, AP
- 3/4 cup Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 6 tbsp Butter, melted
- 1 Honey Crisp Apple, Thinly Sliced for under the streusel (see photo)
- 1/2 cup Caramel Sauce
- Preheat oven to 350 F, grease one 9x13 pan or 3 small loaf pans (approx. 9x5).
- Combine all cake ingredients, except the walnuts and apple pieces, in a stand mixer and beat on medium low speed until well mixed.
- Fold in your walnuts and apples, gently mixing until combined.
- Pour into your prepared pan(s), be sure to divide evenly if using multiple.
- Top cake with your sliced apples before adding streusel.
- In a small bowl combine all topping ingredients, mix with a fork until butter coats the flour and begins to form small pea size crumbles.
- Sprinkle over the top of your cake and gently press into apple slices. Sprinkle walnuts over top if desired.
- Bake cake for 30-40 minutes (this will vary based off of your pans and oven so PLEASE set a timer and check for toothpick to come out clean after 30 mins)
- Once cooled drizzle the cake with your caramel sauce!
The caramel sauce used was a homemade one - recipe above.
Serving Size:1 slice
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 246Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 35mgSodium: 189mgCarbohydrates: 38gFiber: 1gSugar: 20gProtein: 4g
Note; nutritional values are not always 100% accurate, this is to be used as a guide.
more fall desserts like this
- Pumpkin Spice Scones with Spiced Frosting
- 40 Easy Fall Desserts – Woman’s Day
- Gingerbread Biscotti
- Apple Crisp – Chatelaine
- Cranberry Apple Pie
Be sure to subscribe to our Email List so you can always get delicious recipes and ideas to your inbox for FREE!
Be sure to PIN THIS COFFEE CAKE RECIPE so you have it for later!