These super easy lasagna roll ups are your new go to dinner recipe – they don’t require any fancy ingredients; using only cottage cheese, mozzarella, spinach, strained tomatoes, herbs and lasagna noodles, you can have this ready to go in the oven in 20 minutes!
A traditional lasagna recipe can be a tedious task to make, and leave you wanting to pull your hair out between the careful layering, bechamel sauce, cooked meat etc which is why I wanted to share with ya’ll our go-to lasagna roll up recipe; one I have been making for the last year!
We constantly change up what goes into the bases for our lasagna, and you can too! Just start with the basics we have for you below and add/subtract things based on your families tastes and preferences. And if you want another quick and easy recipe to enjoy you’ll love our Instant Pot Lasagna Recipe.
Easy dinners are the best
Very few people I know LOVE spending hours in the kitchen everyday preparing and cooking for their families; which is why we are always aiming to create quick, easy and delicious meals for you to have on the table in less time.
The nice thing about this pasta recipe is that you can make everything ahead of time and keep it in the fridge until you are ready to bake (just be sure to take out 30 minutes before cooking so your casserole dish doesn’t crack in the oven). Why not get the kids in the kitchen to help with the “filling” and rolling the day before to make it a fun family creation?
As I mentioned before, there are a ton of variations of this lasagna, really as many as your imagination wants to think of. Think of this recipe as your “base” and add from there! We have done it with baked butternut squash, roasted peppers, mixed cheese, mushrooms and more. A good recipe is one that you can adapt to your preferences using a few basic steps/ingredients, and this is no different!
Be sure to PIN THESE LASAGNA ROLL UPS so you have them for later!
More like this
Need inspiration for your next meal? Look no further, we have tons of easy, quick and delicious recipes for you to try:
- Cheesy Pierogi Casserole
- Easy 30 Minute Meals
- Cabbage Roll Casserole
- Instant Pot Butternut Squash Soup
- Broccoli Lemon Farfalle with Italian Sausage
- Cheesy Tuna Noodle Casserole
- King Ranch Chicken Mac n Cheese – Gift of Hospitality
The following may contain affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Don’t forget your basics for making this (and many of our dishes) like a good casserole dish; we prefer a ceramic casserole dish for all of our cooking and baking needs – they are easy to clean and look very rustic/comforting in the middle of the dinner table. You’ll also need a large heavy bottomed pot, lasagna lifter and of course some fun tea towels!
- 12 Lasagna Noodles, NOT quick cooking
- 1 jar Strained Tomatoes, or your favorite pasta sauce - is using pasta sauce omit the herbs
- 1 tbsp Dried Oregano
- 1 ½ tsp Dried Basil,
- 1 ½ tsp Dried Parsley
- 2 tbsp Garlic Powder
- 1 500g container Cottage Cheese (2 cups)
- ½ tsp Ground Nutmeg
- 1 package Frozen, Chopped Spinach (about 2 cups), thaw and pat dry to remove excess water
- 1 lg Egg
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 2 cups Shredded Mozzarella
- ½ cup Fresh Grated Parmesan
To make Filling
- Combine the cottage cheese with spinach, egg, nutmeg, salt, pepper and Parmesan cheese in a medium bowl - mix well. Set aside (or refrigerate) until ready to use.
To make Sauce
- Combine the strained tomatoes with oregano, basil, parsley, salt, pepper and garlic powder - mix well. Set aside (or refrigerate) until ready to use.
Full Directions when Ready to Cook
- Preheat your oven to 375°F and lightly grease a 9x13 inch casserole dish. Cook the lasagna noodles according to the package directions - remove when they are just under cooked to prevent any tears when rolling. Drain and quickly rinse with cool water.
- Spread 1 cup of prepared tomato sauce on the bottom of casserole dish.
- Assemble the lasagna roll ups: On each noodle spread 1/4 of cheese filling along the full length, then spoon about 1 tbsp of tomato sauce over top. Roll up, being careful to keep as much of the filling inside, and place with the seam side down in your prepared casserole dish.
- Top lasagna rolls with the leftover tomato sauce (spread lightly over the tops to prevent dry noodles), generously sprinkle mozzarella cheese over them. Cover with foil and bake for 25 minutes.
- Uncover and continue to cook for 10 minutes. Serve them right out of the oven with a side salad and crusty piece of bread for dipping in the excess sauce!
If you LOVE your lasagna really saucy you may want to add additional strained tomatoes to the base/top - we prefer ours with a little less!
Be sure to check out our Copycat Cheddar Bay Biscuits to serve with your lasagna.
Serving Size:2 roll ups
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 380Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 61mgSodium: 693mgCarbohydrates: 48gFiber: 5gSugar: 5gProtein: 21g
Note; nutritional values are not always 100% accurate
Be sure to subscribe to our Email List so you can always get delicious recipes and ideas to your inbox for FREE!