This quick and easy Slow Cooker Sesame Chicken Stir-fry is better than takeout from your favorite joint! The flavor develops in the slow cooker, combining sesame oil with garlic, ginger and more. Using chicken thighs in our stir-fry also helps to keep the cost down for a budget friendly weeknight meal.
Slow cooker chicken thighs are nothing new. In fact, you probably have at least a half a dozen recipes from your childhood that you can avidly remember your mom making for Sunday supper.
What makes our chicken dish better than those of your past is that it is healthier, lower in sodium (no cans of creamy chicken anything here!) and guaranteed to be devoured by even the pickiest eater at your table!
How do you want it?
The ways to serve this sesame chicken are really endless – but we do have some delicious suggestions for you! Our favorite way is to enjoy it as a stir-fry served on top a bed of basmati rice and topped with steamed broccoli, red peppers and green onions. This keeps it a healthy dish that will fill your rumbling tummy within minutes of coming home.
You can also choose to serve the cooked, shredded chicken as a sandwich – yep we went there! Simply toast a nice bun (we prefer a Calabrese style) add some slaw and the sesame chicken and voila – dinner in under 10 minutes!
Slow Cooker Chicken Deliciousness
Alright, so let’s break down this quick dinner shall we? I mean I SAID it was “healthier” and “lower sodium” but how is that possible you may ask? The answer is so simple – it’s all about the ingredients we use!
We chose to use a low sodium soy sauce for the sesame sauce – while not necessary it does make a HUGE difference in the amount of sodium in the final dish (like the difference of 100’s of mg). And guess what? That is the ONLY time we use “salt” at all for this, no pinch here or dash there.
As for healthier – well that’s easy! There are no processed cans of soup or sauces in this chicken dinner, instead we make a simple homemade sesame sauce by cooking a few basic ingredients with the chicken thighs and then serve with steamed veggies and a little rice. But don’t worry friends, this slow cooker chicken is NOT lacking in flavor at all!
Be sure to pin this Slow Cooker Sesame Chicken Stir-Fry so you have it for later!
Ingredients you will need:
- 8-10 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 6 cloves garlic
- Sesame oil
- Brown sugar
- Rice wine vinegar
- Soy sauce
- Ground ginger
- Rice and fresh vegetable for serving
Okay so now that you have your ingredients and are drooling over your screen, let’s go ahead and share this incredibly easy chicken recipe for you to make for dinner tonight!
Slow Cooker Chicken Thighs with Sesame Garlic Sauce
Did you make this recipe? Please be sure to rate it 5 stars and leave us a comment below and let us know what you thought!!
Slow Cooker Sesame Garlic Chicken Recipe
- 8 Boneless Skinless Chicken Thighs
- 6 cloves Garlic peeled
- ⅓ c Soy Sauce Low Sodium
- 2 tbsp Brown Sugar
- ⅓ c Rice Wine Vinegar
- ¼ c Sesame Oil
- ¼ c Water
- 2 tbsp Sriracha
- 1 tsp Ground Ginger
- 1 tbsp Corn Starch for thickening sauce
- Cooked Basmati Rice
- Steamed Broccoli
- Thinly sliced Red Peppers
- Green Onions
- Begin by whisking the ingredients for the sauce in a small bowl; brown sugar, soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, sesame oil, water, ginger and sriracha.
- Arrange chicken in your slow cooker in a single layer and pour sauce over top along with peeled garlic cloves. Cover and set to low for 6 hours. *You can also cook on high for 2.5-3 hours*
- Once finished, remove chicken from the sauce and shred on a plate. Add cornstarch to a small cup with 3 tbsp water (mix well) and pour into pot for thickening your sauce. Set to high and allow to come to a bubble, add chicken back in and mix to coat.
- Serve with rice and steamed vegetables, or as a pulled sesame chicken sandwich!
Be sure to subscribe to our Email List so you can always get delicious recipes and ideas to your inbox for FREE!