These simple scalloped potatoes are a must have on every holiday table – they are perfectly tender with two kinds of cheese and a hint of smoked paprika, and they can even be prepared the day before. A delicious update to the potatoes you enjoyed growing up!
No Easter (or holiday) table is complete without the addition of a good scalloped potato dish – it is the perfect compliment to a juicy ham, carrots and of course green beans.
And with our super easy version; that ensures your potatoes are ALWAYS perfectly cooked, you will have everyone begging you for the recipe.
Winning Side Dish
There are always dishes we turn to at our family gatherings, and these potatoes are no exception.
I’ve been enjoying different variations of scalloped potato since I was a little girl – some with ham, lots of onions and the classic extra cheesy, and I don’t think I have ever had one I didn’t like.
One thing I notice with our side dishes (especially during the holidays) is that we tend to go big or go home…extra cream? Sure no problem! Triple cheese? Okay!
That’s why it was important to me to keep our potatoes a little lighter, but definitely not on flavor (just calories and fat I promise) so you can go ahead and have that second helping.
- Russet Potatoes
- Parmesan Cheese
- Aged Cheddar
- Salt, pepper and Smoked Paprika
Be sure to PIN this Easy Easter Side Dish so you have it for later!
Easy holiday side dishes can be hard to find – everyone promises you theirs is the easiest and best but how can you be sure, am I right?
Well, if you’ve been following us for some time now then you know we really do like to keep things simple and delicious! So why not try some more of our winning sides:
- Classic Stuffing Recipe
- Kale with Cranberries & Toasted Pecans
- Cheesy Pierogi Casserole
- Sauteed Brussels Sprouts with Pancetta
- Kale & Broccoli Salad with Creamy Coleslaw Dressing
- Shredded Brussels Sprouts Salad with Apples
Be sure to subscribe to our Email List so you can always get delicious recipes and ideas to your inbox for FREE!
Frequently asked questions
Here are some of the questions you may have about making these Scalloped Potatoes – if you have a question that isn’t here feel free to leave a comment or email us and we will respond as soon as we can!
Can scalloped potatoes be made ahead?
One thing we love about this recipe is that YES you can make it ahead – well prepare it ahead! You can do everything up until the final baking stage.
Simply prepare everything 1-2 days in advance (no further out than that) and then cover tightly with foil. Place in the fridge and take out 1 hour before you are ready to start cooking on the day of.
What goes with scalloped potatoes?
There are really an endless amount of options for what to serve with your potatoes but some of our faves are; ham, pork tenderloin, herbed green beans, roasted vegetables, green salads, lamb, and so much more!
Do you have any favorites you want to add ? Let us know in the comments.
How to make scalloped potatoes from scratch
Making these potatoes is super easy thanks to a couple of simple tricks!
Start by prepping all of your ingredients, making sure all the chopping and slicing is done before you get started. Then you sautee the shallots with garlic before adding the flour.
Once that is done you add in the remainder of the ingredients along with the sliced potatoes and allow them to come to a gentle simmer – this ensures they start cooking before going in the oven.
Once simmered for 5 minutes you will put the potatoes in a baking dish and cook for 45 minutes until cheese is bubbly and potatoes are golden on top.
Did you make this recipe? Please be sure to rate it 5 stars and leave us a comment below and let us know what you thought!!
- 2 ½ lbs Russet Potatoes (approx. 12 med potatoes), washed, peeled & thinly sliced
- 2 Shallots, chopped
- 5 cloves Garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons Unsalted Butter
- 1 tablespoons Flour
- 1 ½ cups Aged White Cheddar Cheese, grated
- ½ cup Parmesan Cheese, grated
- 3 cups Milk (2%)
- 1 tablespoon Smoked Paprika
- Salt & Pepper
- Ensure all ingredients are prepped and ready to go; peeled and slice potatoes, mince garlic, chop shallots and grate both cheeses.
Ready to Cook
- Begin by preheating oven to 350°F and lightly greasing a 9x13" casserole dish.
- Melt butter over medium heat in a large, heavy bottom saucepan. Add shallot with garlic and sautee until softened - approx. 3 minutes.
- Add flour and stir until golden. Season with salt, pepper and smoked paprika and then add in milk. Stir to combine. Add potatoes and stir to coat.
- Bring potato mixture to a low simmer over medium heat and cook for 5 minutes.
- Using a ladle pour half of the potato mixture into prepared casserole dish and top with half of the cheeses. Pour remainder of the potato mixture on top and finish topping evenly with the remaining cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake for 45 minutes. Remove foil and allow to cook for additional 15 minutes until cheese is bubbling and top is golden.
One of our favorite dishes to serve alongside these potatoes is our Bacon Wrapped Stuffed Pork Tenderloin!
Serving Size:1.5 cups
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 350Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 45mgSodium: 354mgCarbohydrates: 40gFiber: 4gSugar: 7gProtein: 14g
*Please note that nutritional values are not always 100% accurate and are to be used as a guide.