Well, another month is upon us friends, and that means it is time for another Recipe Swap!!! This month I was given Simply Made Recipes, which you guys should recognize as Amber has been a part of our “Featured Recipes” section a couple of times, so it is no surprise that I knew exactly what I was going to make. With it being so close to Christmas, and the weather getting cooler, I chose to make her Salted Caramel Hot Chocolate recipe…and boy are you guys in for a real treat!!
This is the perfect drink for you to enjoy after a day out on the toboggan hill (or ski hill if you are adventurous enough!). It only takes 5 minutes to make and is a big enough batch to serve 6, which is great for all the excited kiddos and adults alike. Now, with me being lactose intolerant I chose to make a couple of adjustments to the recipe and I can tell you it is still INCREDIBLY tasty and you will not miss out on the heavy cream etc if you choose to make it this way instead. I also have a curious hubby who thought it would be a good idea to “spike” his cup…and boy was I GLAD that he did! I mean YUM, a little shot of Smirnoff Fluffy Marshmallow Vodka will leave your taste buds dancing. Anyway, here you have it, the BEST Salted Caramel Hot Chocolate Recipe you will try all year, with an adult version for those of us who like a little kick!
Salted Caramel Hot Chocolate + Spiked Version!
A delicious drink for a cold winters day! It is an indulgent treat topped with whipped cream and caramel sauce, it's your new go-to Hot Chocolate Recipe!
- 2 Cups Milk Chocolate Chips
- 3 Cups Milk we chose to use almond milk
- 2 Cups Half and Half
- 1/4 Cup Caramel Sauce
- 1/2 Tsp Sea Salt
- Coconut Whipped Cream
- Chocolate Chips
- Caramel Sauce
Combine ingredients for the Hot Chocolate in a saucepan over medium heat.
Whisk constantly until all ingredients have combined and continue to cook over medium heat until desired temperature (about 5 minutes).
Pour into cups and top with whipped cream and desired add-ons!
*add in a shot of your favorite vodka for adult version! We used Smirnoff Fluffy Marshmallow.
tips and tricks for the perfect salted caramel hot chocolate
- Keep the temperature no higher than medium when whisking together the ingredients (this will keep the chocolate and caramel sauce from burning)
- Use less caramel sauce if you don’t like your drinks too sweet (this is a very sweet and indulgent drink) I think next time we make it I would use half the amount the recipe calls for
- If you want to try something different, you can always use a semi-sweet or dark chocolate rather than the milk chocolate chips
- You can use regular whipped cream, or even chocolate whipped cream (yep they make it!) if you don’t like coconut…but let me tell you it is DELISH!
- Have fun with your toppings, let the kiddos have a choice from a few goodies they can add on. My suggestions? Chocolate Chips, Marshmallows, Toasted Coconut, Peppermint Chips, and anything else your heart desires!
Be sure to check out Amber’s original post here and browse her site for a ton of great recipes for any type of meal!