Originally Posted September 2016
Updated Photos: September 10, 2018
Here it is ya’ll!! A super yummy, very easy, nice and hearty Chicken and Dumplings! This is such a versatile dish, there are quite a few changes you can make to adjust to your tastes and what you have on hand (i.e. don’t have chicken thighs? No problem, just substitute for chicken breasts with bone in…Don’t have celery, use celery seed instead).
This dish will guaranteed be one you make time and time again. It doesn’t take much as far as ingredients go, and really once the chicken is fried up it’s a simple meal to make!
Is there really anything better on a crisp Fall day then the smell of your favorite comfort dish simmering away on the stove? I am a huge fan of the flavors of Fall, I always have been. Pumpkin Spice practically runs through my veins as soon as September hits (and I know I am not alone with this!). But I am not talking about just the classic PSL (Pumpkin Spice Latte for those of you who don’t indulge)….no, no friends I am talking muffins, scones, risottos and more! But enough about Pumpkin Spice and back to this delicious Chicken and Dumplings recipe!! Be sure to check out the recipe below and let me know what your favorite comfort foods of the season are.
Makes: 8+servings (we got dinner and four lunches out of it!)
Time: 20 minutes prep, 45 minutes cooking time
Chicken and Dumplings
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- 6-8 chicken thighs bone in, skin on or 3 good sized bone in skin on chicken breasts
- 1 c chopped celery or 1 tsp celery seed instead
- 2 c diced carrots 3 medium carrots
- 1 medium onion diced
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 c flour
- 10 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 3/4 c Bisquick search homemade version, or click below
- 1/4 c cornmeal if you don't have any don't worry! Just do 2c Bisquick instead
- 2/3 c milk
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- In your largest pot (trust me, the oil spatter hurts) melt olive oil and butter over medium-high heat. Season your chicken with salt and pepper (don't be stingy) and brown on both sides (about 5min per side). Transfer chicken to plate and set aside.
- Add onions and carrots to the pot (yes, you want to cook em right in that tasty chicken juice and oil/butter mix!). Cook until they begin to soften, add in garlic and cook 1 min longer.
- Add the browned chicken, thyme, bay leaves, garlic powder and chicken broth to the pot. Bring to a simmer and cook for 20-25 mins, until chicken is cooked through. Remove and discard bay leaves and transfer the cooked chicken to a plate.
- Remove the skin and bones from the chicken. Shred and return to the pot!
- Ladle out 2c of the liquid and whisk with 1/2 c flour until smooth. Whisk this mixture into the pot and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Mix bisquick with milk until just combined, add in parsley. Add by spoonfuls to your chicken mixture and cook uncovered for 5 minutes. Cover pot and continue to cook dumplings for 10 minutes while you tidy up and pour yourself a glass of wine!
looking for more comfort foods like this chicken and dumplings?
- Italian Stuffed Peppers
- Ultimate Beef Stew – Canadian Living
- Chicken Pot Pie
- Cheesy Tuna Noodle Casserole