These Hot Chocolate Cookies are like your favorite brownie recipe turned into a delicious chewy, fudgy cookie with festive sprinkles and drizzled chocolate to take them over the top!
How are you liking our Christmas Baking Frenzy so far this year!? Did you see we even added a fun festive drink – our White Christmas Sangria! If you thought we were winding down, think again my friends! This recipe for Hot Chocolate cookies is one of two delicious recipes coming your way this weekend and I am so excited for you to try them!
Hot Chocolate Cookie – new fave!
If you have followed along with us for awhile you know how much we LOVE anything with chocolate in it! I knew this Christmas I wanted to come up with some new cookies that would even wow the big man in red (ah-hem Santa!) and I think we’ve nailed it on the head with this one. It is everything you want in a cookie and more – chewy inside, slightly firmer outside, topped with chocolate and a melted marshmallow and fun sprinkles too. They go perfectly with a cup of hot cocoa and are a beautiful cookie to gift as well (assuming you don’t eat them all first).
The Hot Chocolate Cookie dough will remind you of your favorite decadent brownie recipe – thick and chocolatey without being super sweet thanks to the use of semi-sweet chocolate chips. I actually was eating the dough by little pinches as I was rolling them out!! I am one to do this with all my cookies…it’s the best part right!? Though I know a ton of people won’t do it because of the eggs…meh we only live once right!? These Christmas cookies were so fun to make, leaving my hands covered in the delicious dough as I rolled out each cookie ball.
FAQs for Hot Chocolate Cookies
Here are some of the questions you guys have asked about making chocolate cookies over the years – if you have a question that isn’t here feel free to leave a comment or email us and we will respond as soon as we can!
How to make Hot Chocolate Cookie Dough?
Super easy cookie dough to make- these Hot Chocolate Cookies come together with just a few steps. You have to melt the semi-sweet chocolate chips with butter using a double broiler method and allow to cool while you make the remainder of the dough. That’s the hardest step and it isn’t even that hard! Once that’s done you simple combine the sugar, eggs and vanilla. In a separate bowl you will sift the dry ingredients together before mixing everything together with the melted chocolate mixture. This cookie dough is so incredible you will have a hard time NOT eating it in its raw state (if you aren’t afraid of the raw egg).
How to cook Hot Chocolate Cookies
As with any cookie recipe it is so important to preheat your oven and prep your cookie sheets with parchment paper (or silicone baking mats) to ensure your cookies don’t stick! Once you have rolled your cookie dough into small balls you will gently press down to create an indent for the marshmallow piece before baking in the 350 F oven for 8-10 minutes. This quick cooking time makes sure they are perfectly ooey and chewy while being fully cooked!
Be sure to PIN THIS CHRISTMAS COOKIE RECIPE so you have it for later!
More Great Christmas Cookie Recipes
- Soft Christmas Sprinkle Cookies –
EASY Cookie Recipe that is great for putting out for Santa!
- Frosted Sugar Cookie Bars – Soft batch sugar cookies with a delicious buttercream frosting.
- Elf Poop – A white chocolate no-bake haystack cookie that is as cute as it sounds!
- Gingerbread Biscotti –
Wonderfully spiced and perfectly sweet, this biscotti cookie is going to be a new favorite .
You May Need…
The following may contain affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Check out The Olive Blogger store on Amazon to see what’s new and exciting!
In order to make sure you have the cutest Hot Chocolate Cookies on the goodie tray this season I suggest you stock up on some festive Christmas Sprinkles!
Recipe for Hot Chocolate Cookies
If you made this recipe please be sure to rate it, leave us a comment below and let us know what you thought!!
Festive Hot Chocolate Cookies
- ½ cup Unsalted Butter
- 2 cups Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
- ¼ cup Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 1 ½ cups All Purpose Flour
- 1 ½ tsp Baking Powder
- pinch Salt
- 1 ¼ cups Brown Sugar lightly packed
- 3 large Eggs
- 2 tsp Vanilla
- 12 large Marshmallows – cut into quarters
- Begin by melting butter with 1.5 cups of semi-sweet chocolate chips over medium heat using the double broiler method (place an inch of water in pot and put bowl that doesn't touch the water over top – allow to lightly boil while stirring constantly). Once chocolate is fully melted set aside.
- In a medium bowl sift together your dry ingredients; flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt.
- In a stand mixer (or using an electric mixer) beat together eggs with brown sugar and vanilla, allow to mix for 2-3 minutes until fully incorporated.
- Add the melted chocolate mixture to sugar mixture and beat on medium speed to combine.
- Add flour mixture to wet ingredients slowly (about 1/3 at a time) mix well between each addition. Batter will resemble a thick buttercream at this point.
- Chill dough in the fridge for at least 1 hour – I prefer to leave mine for the day and bake after about 4 hours to ensure it has time to set!
- Preheat oven to 350°F when ready to bake and prepare baking sheets with parchment paper (or silicone baking mats).
- Roll dough into small balls (about 1.5") and GENTLY press down to create a small indent for the marshmallow to sit in. Place 1/4 piece of marshmallow on each cookie and gently press to keep it in place.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes until the cookies are just firm on the outside – they will still be gooey in the center.
- Allow to cool 10 minutes before drizzling with chocolate and topping with sprinkles of choice.
Step-by-Step for Hot Chocolate Cookies
Begin with melting chocolate and butter over double broiler – allow to cool.
Whisk together dry ingredients in medium bowl.
Beat together eggs with sugar and vanilla on medium speed for 3 minutes.
Add melted chocolate and beat well. Slowly add flour mixture and beat to combine.
After dough has chilled for at least 1 hour preheat oven to 350 F and roll dough into small balls. Using thumb create an indent for the marshmallow to sit in. Bake for 8-10 mins.
Allow to cool before drizzling with melted semi-sweet chocolate and topping with sprinkles!