These Chocolate Chip Scones are incredibly easy to make and are the perfect addition to breakfast or brunch. They are loaded with chocolate chips but are not overly sweet, and are dense enough for slicing open and adding some butter, making them easy to pair with your morning cuppa tea.
Don’t be scared off by the term scone, I promise you they are so much easier than we believe them to be!
They come together in under 10 minutes and will then fill your home with the delicious sweet smell of chocolate and butter while they bake away.
For this recipe you will need: flour, baking powder, sugar, butter, milk, egg, vanilla and chocolate chips.
Chocolate chip scones any time of DAY
Now most people will tell you that a traditional scone is for afternoon tea or to go with your morning cuppa, but I am here to tell you that they can be enjoyed any time of the day.
The nice thing about our Chocolate Chip Scones is that they aren’t too sweet so, while yes you can enjoy them for an after dinner treat, you can also enjoy them mid-afternoon to perk you up without giving you a sugar crash.
I can’t quite remember the first time I had a scone, I imagine it was sometime during high school when I used to go with my friends to a local bagel shop for lunch, but let me just tell you while those ones didn’t leave a lasting impression (obviously if I can’t even remember them) these Chocolate Chip Scones are what dreams are made of!
Even in their precooked stage they look delicious. So, give em a try and let me know what you think.
Everything you need to know about scones
A lot of people are intimidated by scones and I am here to answer a few basic questions to help get you started on baking these delicious little gems. If you have a question that isn’t listed please send us an email or leave a comment below.
What is the difference between a biscuit and a scone?
Quite simply put, a biscuit is more of a bread and tends to be fluffier than a scone. Scones are typically a little denser and have a more crumbly texture rather than flaky.
A good scone recipe will also often do well with mix ins; like these Chocolate Chip ones as well as many berry variations and even savory herb and cheddar scones.
Can you make scones the day before?
Okay, this is really a personal preference but I will say they taste best right out of the oven. You can however make them ahead and, if stored properly, they will still be delicious. That being said, you want to make sure you eat them within 2-3 days of baking if you are leaving them in a container on the counter.
Will baked scones freeze?
Again, this is really a personal preference and some people will tell you DON’T do it … but I’m not some people and I know that they do freeze and pretty darn well too. Here is what I suggest if you want to freeze your scones:
- If freezing after baking you will want to make sure they are completely cooled. If you are freezing the dough before baking then simply shape into your circle and cut into triangles, freeze as is by placing in a sealed container.
- Once the scone is baked and cooled you will want to wrap them in plastic wrap and place within a sealed container to keep them fresh.
- Freeze up to 6 weeks and be sure to remove ahead of time if wanting to enjoy them (though I often just pop mine in the microwave for 20 seconds to warm it up).
If you LOVED this recipe please let us know below, or tag us #OliveYum on Instagram so we can see!! Also, be sure to PIN these Scones for later!
You May need…
The following may contain affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
The easiest way to cut your scone dough is with a pizza cutter, yep trust me! It glides perfectly through the dough with the help of the handle (since you can keep even pressure on it) and creates perfect triangle slices each time.
You may also like …
- Pumpkin Spice Scones with Cream Cheese Frosting
- Peach Stuffed French Toast
- Bacon Scones – Taste of Home
- Easy Homemade Crepes
- Cheddar Scones with Caramelized Onions
- Strawberry Shortcake Scones
- 2.5 cups Flour
- 1 tbsp Baking Powder
- 1/3 cup Granulated Sugar
- 3/4 cup Cubed Butter, COLD not room temperature
- 1/2 cup Milk
- 1 Egg
- 1.5 tsp Vanilla
- 1 cup Chocolate Chips, milk or semi-sweet
- Preheat oven to 400 F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. `
- Whisk together flour, baking powder and sugar. Cut in cold butter (if using a stand mixer you can easily do this with the paddle attachment on low speed).
- In a separate bowl whisk together egg, milk and vanilla. Add to flour mixture with chocolate chips and gently mix until just combined.
- Remove dough from bowl and form into a ball on a lightly floured surface. Flatten into a 1" disc, making sure the dough is even, and cut into 8 triangles. (**the easiest way to do this is using a pizza cutter to cut the dough into quarters and then cut each section in half** )
- Bake for 14-16 minutes until lightly golden around edges and on top. Enjoy warm from the oven!
Serving Size:1 scone
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 467Total Fat: 26gSaturated Fat: 16gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 73mgSodium: 356mgCarbohydrates: 55gFiber: 2gSugar: 20gProtein: 8g
Nutrition information isn't always accurate.
Be sure to subscribe to our Email List so you can always get delicious recipes and ideas to your inbox for FREE!