Ok ya’ll, this is the BEST salsa recipe and it is so unbelievably simple to make it will blow your mind! I know what you are thinking…”How can you make a basic salsa recipe better”…well let me tell you!
My hubby got himself a smoker last year and has been obsessed with finding new ways to make old favorites, and after talking with my cousin (who is also a very big smoker fan…hey Trev!) he decided he was going to try smoking some of the ingredients for our salsa. We were having our family over this past weekend for a summer BBQ, as we recently got a pool, and want to take advantage of every nice weather day we have (haha) we live in Canada after all…we only get a few months of nice weather! If you don’t have a smoker, don’t worry! There is a way around this, with the same results.
Look at the blistering on that tomato…mmm!
I can’t tell you the amount of compliments this salsa recipe received, honestly I have to say I was a little shocked (you always expect someone to not like what you’ve made…well at least I do). I made a huge bowl (see below) and there wasn’t a single scoop left at the end of the party. Everyone commented on how incredible the light smoke flavor was, and the freshness of the ingredients really speak for themselves. You only need a few ingredients, most of which you probably already have on hand, and you are on your way to the most epic salsa that has ever hit your lips…I promise!
Okay, enough with the teasing shots of fresh ingredients, lets get this recipe started!
- 3-4 Tomatoes (I used hot house, but you can use any juicy variety)
- 1/2 Vidalia Onion
- 1 Bunch of Cilantro
- 2 tbsp Lime Juice
- Salt, to taste (brings out the flavors of your ingredients)
- Wash tomatoes and cliantro thoroughly
- Preheat your smoker (or BBQ, see how to do it this way on the blog!)
- Place whole tomatoes and onion on the grill, leave to smoke for 30 mins
- Allow tomatoes and onion to cool before chopping
- Finely chop cilantro (about 1/2 of the bunch)
- Mix cilantro, tomatoes, onion and lime juice in a medium bowl. Add salt to taste.
- Let sit in fridge for 1 hour before serving
- Serve with tortilla chips
So, remember how I said you didn’t need a smoker to make this salsa? Well, here is what you can do instead.
- You will need:
- A small foil pan covered in foil and poked with holes (the ones from the dollar store work great) or smoker box made for your BBQ
- Wood chips, you can get these at any (which you need for the smoker if you do it that way as well, but this isn’t a post on operating a smoker!) and there are a TON of flavors available!
- You place the the smoker box directly over an unlit burner (which requires you to lift the grill grate, then place the grate on top. Turn the BBQ on medium-low so it cooks at about 250 degrees Fahrenheit.
- And “smoke” away! It only takes about 20-30 minutes for the tomatoes to begin to blister and the onions to soften. This is when you want to take them off and let them cool.
Do you know what would go perfectly with this salsa recipe?? A drink from my Top 10 Summer Drinks post I did the other month! I think the Jalapeno Infused Bourbon would actually be perfect right about now…hmm!
I hope you give this recipe a try, it will become your new go to recipe for gatherings guaranteed!
*Please note, this page may contain affiliate links (which cost you nothing), please see my disclosures page for more information!*